90hp diagram, again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90hp diagram, again

Guess I should have made it more clear. Bought a 17.4 Cobia with a Yamaha 90 hp motor. Having trouble with motor running find then dropping down to about idle speed. Will pick back up after running awhile. Does not go dead. Have been told that Yamaha has a safety feature that if oil pressure drops or temp. is high it will do this? This is why I was wanting a diagram of location of switches. They do not seem to be as in photos. The motor looks like 90 TLRZ, mfg. 11/2000. Thought maybe start here before taking it to a shop. Thanks for any help!

Originally posted by dino1953 View Post
    Guess I should have made it more clear. Bought a 17.4 Cobia with a Yamaha 90 hp motor. Having trouble with motor running find then dropping down to about idle speed. Will pick back up after running awhile. Does not go dead. Have been told that Yamaha has a safety feature that if oil pressure drops or temp. is high it will do this? This is why I was wanting a diagram of location of switches. They do not seem to be as in photos. The motor looks like 90 TLRZ, mfg. 11/2000. Thought maybe start here before taking it to a shop. Thanks for any help!
    Your motor has an RPM reduction function that activates due to over temperature or low oil quantity in the engine mounted oil tank. However, the RPM is generally reduced to about 2000. If the horn works and you are not hearing the horn it is not the warning system that is causing your problema.

My guess would be fuel supply related. Can you pump the primer ball by hand to keep fuel supplied to the motor and then see what happens? Is the primer ball easily squeezed and does it release and expand when it is not being squeezed? A restriction from the motor to the fuel tank can cause fuel flow issues. Motor is simply not getting enough fuel to keep running itself at power when fuel flow is high. Possibly together with failing fuel pumps.

Comment

Working...
    X