Brand new outboard problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand new outboard problems.

Purchased a brand new boat, took it out yesterday to do the break in procedures and test the boat.

Started out ok, but about 15 mins into it I noticed the voltage readings on the starboard motor were fluctuating, and then a few minutes later the engine shut off. I was able to restart but it will die again after a few minutes.

After a bit, the engine died and would not restart, not even try like it had no power. After checking things over, trying to switch the batteries to different postitions with no luck, I looked behind the panel to see if anything came loose. Didn't find anything but I unplugged the main harness that went to the ignition switch that said starboard on it and unplugged and reconnected it.

The gauge showed battery voltage again and fired up.

After that it ran good for about another 20 mins before it died again. Now it would die but restart.

Today I took the boat back home, after parking it I was lowering the drives down together. Both motors were going down then the starboard stopped.

The starboard gauge shows no voltage again, and will not respond. I check the connection that I reconnected out on the water and it again looked fine, I disconnected and reconnected but the gauge still shows no voltage and the drive will not move.

Any thoughts on what to check?

I can take it to the dealer but they are 3 hours away and if it's a simple loose connection I would rather take care of it myself.

I would double check all battery and ground connections...sounds like the rigger may have left a wire or connection loose....remove each one and clean with a Scotchbrite pad, a dab of grease and tighten back...if that doesn't do it then back to the dealer...

Comment

Found the problem after tracing down the wires. Loose connection on the motor.

Still don't think the battery switches are wired correctly, as both motors will only work on battery 1.

Comment

How many total batteries are in the boat? More than likely at least two, maybe more. One start battery for each motor.

Each start battery is the number one battery for its own motor. There should be two battery switches. Each is turned to the number one position.

To test this turn one battery switch off. Only one of the two motors should crank. Turn the other battery switch on and the one that was on, off. The other motor should crank and not the first one.

Comment

3 batteries total, and yes #1 for each motor and battery but the number 2 on the circuit has no power.

I either need to run it to the house battery or add a 4th for a back up battery for both motors.

Comment

Working...
          X