Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Management

Help from the brain trust is requested.

We have a pair of 2004 300 HPDI's on our boat and after sitting for two years I am bound and determined to get back on the water and use the boat or sell it. After throwing away 250 gallons of gas, flushing the lines and tanks, changing the filters and the spark plugs the motors fired up and ran just fine. Then I decided to work on the wiring in the center console because I would have multiple hots and grounds on a single screw. I wanted to make it one wire to one screw. Anyway I fired the motors up one at a time on the ear muffs and everything look good. Spent an hour at the gas station filling the boat back up and then headed to the marina and dropped the boat in the water. Again both motors fired up like they are suppose to, backed off the trailer and tied the boat off. I really don't recall looking at the FMG because I was jacking with the other electronics as we went through the marina so I assumed that things were working okay. Rolled the throttles up, planed the boat off - everything good. At that time I noticed the the FMG was reading 0.0 and I had already gone about a mile so something should have shown up. At 35 MPH I went to adjust the motor trim and then I felt shudder, for lack of a better term, followed by a WTF. I thought that I might have run over something at that exact time but looking back I did not see anything. Pressed the button again and again another shudder. Pulled the throttles back to neutral and sat there trying to figure out what was going on. This time I only pressed the starboard motor trim and it killed the motor, not good. After many choice words I turned the key and the motor fired right up - so back to the dock and load up. While running back to the dock I noticed that the Lenco trim tab switch did not have any lights showing. Back at the shop I clipped off what seemed like 100 zip ties holding all of the wires together. Traced all of the wires and did not see anything that would make me go - there's the problem. Went ahead and disconnected all of the Lenco wires. Fired up the motors, tested all of the motor trims and everything worked just fine, good day. I then went to work on the FMG. I checked all of the connectors, pulled them apart, checked for corrosion, and put them back together again - still 0.0. Check for voltage back at the sending unit and had 5.? volts and good ground. I did not check the voltage out as I did not want to pierce the shielding that might allow some corrosion to start.

By the way the tach's have been working all through this and I assume the Sync on the FMG as it works at the shop right now.

So...that's my story.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance, Andrew

About what? The FMG or the shudder?

Comment

T&T draws some amps, so it may be dropping enough voltage to cause a problem when motor shudders if there is a connection or cable problem.
      no idea on the FMG unless the paddle wheel is not turning

Comment

I was thinking that the shudder problem was a dead short because as soon as I pressed down on the motor tilt button the motor died. The problem could have gone through the Lenco box as it is hooked up to a yellow power wire for the auto retract of the trim tabs when you turn the starboard motor off and that is why I disconnected it. I have not reconnected the Lenco and the motors and motor trim seem to be running fine. I don't know if it will make a difference under load in the water.

It's the FMG that I am trying to figure out. I have not check the continuity of the wires to see it there might be a short or break between the sending units and the FMG. I suppose that both sending units might have gone out at the same time, I would just think that the odds would be very low for that to happen.

Are there any inline fuses that might have blown?

Comment

Traced the problem with the fuel management gauge to the ground that runs back to the sending units. Ran a wire across the deck cut the old wire and spliced in the temporary wire. Everything works just like it is suppose to. I also hooked the Lenco trim tab unit back up and everything is still good.

Couple of questions.

1. Is the wiring harness part number that I need 6Y5-83553-F1-00?
          2. How long is the harness
          3. Does Yamaha have a wiring harness already made up that will connect the NMEA for the FMG to a Furuno NavNet 2?

Comment

Originally posted by APM View Post
            Traced the problem with the fuel management gauge to the ground that runs back to the sending units. Ran a wire across the deck cut the old wire and spliced in the temporary wire. Everything works just like it is suppose to. I also hooked the Lenco trim tab unit back up and everything is still good.

Couple of questions.

1. Is the wiring harness part number that I need 6Y5-83553-F1-00? Yes.
            2016 Outboard Rigging & Parts
            2. How long is the harness 8 meters
            3. Does Yamaha have a wiring harness already made up that will connect the NMEA 0183 for the FMG to a Furuno NavNet 2?
            6Y5-85721-F0-00 YAMAHA FUEL MGMT CABLE

Comment

Looking up 6Y5-85721-F0-00 looks like I need to get an end from Furuno and make up my own cable or am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by APM View Post
                Looking up 6Y5-85721-F0-00 looks like I need to get an end from Furuno and make up my own cable or am I missing something?
                Yamaha has no idea from who's NMEA 0183 device the speed information will be coming from.

Most of the MFD makers have bare wires that provide the NMEA 0183 output. A simple spliced or terminated connection is usually made at the interface of the Yamaha cable and the MFD suppliers cable. So you then have one cable made up of two cables. One having a Yamaha connector on one end and the suppliers connector on the other end.

Comment

Working...
                X