F150 surging at idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F150 surging at idle

After changing fuel filters(small amount of water in the one one the motor) put boat in water to test run. Also drained vsr line in motor, very little, if any water. Now motor surges at idle and only runs at about 4000 rpm.If you pump the throttle the motor gains rpms only to die down again. Constantly pumping throttle the motor runs at about 4500 rpms, with no miss.Sounds to be starving for fuel? After running motor for a few hours it began to run at about 5000 rpm without pumping throttle but still surges at idle and will not run above 5000 rpms. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by jakechamp View Post
    After changing fuel filters(small amount of water in the one one the motor) put boat in water to test run. Also drained vsr line in motor, very little, if any water. Now motor surges at idle and only runs at about 4000 rpm.If you pump the throttle the motor gains rpms only to die down again. Constantly pumping throttle the motor runs at about 4500 rpms, with no miss.Sounds to be starving for fuel? After running motor for a few hours it began to run at about 5000 rpm without pumping throttle but still surges at idle and will not run above 5000 rpms. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
    what is this vsr line in motor?

If you foundwater in the fuel you need to drain and clean the water out of tank.
    Could be the fuel is bad.
    change all filters, clean the VST and the screen/filter in there,
    If that looks bad have the injectors serviced.
    flush the system well before you contaminate it all again

run with a portable tank with fresh fuel to see if that makes a difference
    Last edited by 99yam40; 06-23-2016, 09:15 AM.

Comment

VST line sorry

Comment

2006 f 150

After draining fuel tank, changing filter/ separator and filter in front of motor, fueled up with non ethanol gas. Drained vst, got about 6 or 8 specks of trash. Blew back into line and drained again and clean fuel came out. Also drained fuel from injector line, clean but motor still not running right. Put it in the water to run it and it idled out and sounded good but when i gave it throttle it wanted to die out. If I pumped the throttle it would begin to pick up speed only to die out when i stopped.Checked at an idle and have plenty pressure on injector line. Made it back to the dock by pumping the throttle, the only way it would stay running, not running good but running. What should I check next?

Comment

What is that stuff Townsend uses to dissolve water so that it will burn through? Would that be worth trying?

Comment

aint no mokanik in a can.
            now remove disassemble and clean/replace the VST filter.
            spray out the injectors or send them out for cleaning.

or keep running it lean until it burns and ex valve,burns a headgasket or detonates a piston.

it can, does and will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
              aint no mokanik in a can.
              now remove disassemble and clean/replace the VST filter.
              spray out the injectors or send them out for cleaning.

or keep running it lean until it burns and ex valve,burns a headgasket or detonates a piston.

it can, does and will happen.
              Mokanik In A Can might be good marketing name for it though....

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                What is that stuff Townsend uses to dissolve water so that it will burn through? Would that be worth trying?
                K100 , third video down: Demonstration | Fuel Additive | K-100

I can attest, I do not get ANY water accumulation ANYWHERE in my system since using it and going to Ethanol free fuel.

I did drain the fuel tank once about 6 months ago and NO visible water came out.

Original tank, in nice, hot, humid SW Florida too...Going on TWENTY years old..

Its run with RF regularly... Most of the fuel I removed then was about 2 years old. My neighbor used it in his truck, Suzuki 140 OB and I used it in the generator W/O incident.
                Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Definitely would use it if I could only get e-10. Believe a poster some time ago said he could only buy e-10 in CA. No choice. I'll stick with pure has for now. 2.99 a gallon here in Ga....if it hits $5 gallon who knows...

Comment

if it is just water and you can keep the engine running and supply it with fresh fuel the water will work itself out.

however typically water sits and turns the fuel acidic and makes a goo.
                    \
                    once that happens the only way to clear it is remove the VST,change the prefilter clean the VST,replace the pump filter.
                    remove the injectors and clean and flush them.
                    takes about 2.5 hr on the f150.

Comment

06 F150, running like a bat out of he**

Thanks to all, I pulled the injectors out, soaked them in carb cleaner overnite, blew screen end out with low pressure air then installed. took it to the lake and i don't ever remember it ever running this good. again, thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                      X