Water in holding tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water in holding tank

Hello: Like my user name states Hard -Times, i'm going throw some. Hi my name is Mike , I own a 1992 Grady white 244 Explorer with a closed transem with a 2003 300 hpdi on a Grady bracket. Eng has a new power head with all the up grades and a new accessories as of 2013, got the boat back and 3 weeks later the boat is back at the shop for a cracked block, still cant see how they missed that, and let me take it. Ok they took care of that issue. Now mind you i have a 3 yr parts and labor warranty. from NOV 2013 to Nov 2016. Now they removed the holding tank cleaned installed a new oil pump and re installed the tank in 2013 . Now in Nov of 2015 I get to the dock boat starts and runs good all the way up the creek to the mouth of the bay I go to get it up on plan , and something does not sound right so back down , and re try again, eng sounds like it throw a rod or bearing. Now mind you the boat ran with no issues the week before. Took it back to the shop they claim eng failure was do to water in oil . I used yamaha lube 2m oil , ring free , and yamaha gas stabilizer.By the way i owned 5 other Yamaha set ups like this and never had a problem with water in the oil or holding tank. Is this possible to have Eng failure with out any type warning. These Eng have all kinds of issues with the power head . Has any one ever heard or had this problem. Thx for any input.
    Last edited by Hard-Times; 06-22-2016, 08:58 PM.

you need to be looking for how water got into the oil system

Comment

I guess by "holding tank" you mean the boat mounted oil tank? Water in there is pretty common, and as mentioned, you need to find out how it's getting in! Lots of engines are running great, just before it failed!

Comment

Thx for you input. I just can't see how water got in the mounted oil holding tank. How is one 2 know if there is water in the tank when the boat ,is in a slip of the season with no sings or issues with the Eng. We do the maint change the the fuel and water filter , yamaha 2m factory oil. ring free. Then one day you go out and bam there goes your power head . I did a lot of research on these big blocks and it is always the # 2 cyl .Why ? if there was no lubricant, why that cyl ,and not the rest? that cyl was scored , and the rest where fine. who is to say the rings didn't give out on that cyl. I can only go by what they say, that there was water in the oil. And with that said, they do not wont to honor the warranty Now mind you , i had a problem with a cracked block, so this is the second issue with this same Eng.

Comment

I thought Yamaha recommended maintenance included draining and cleaning the oil tanks. or at least the trap on the motor mounted tank.
          if you find water there then address the remote one also.

I would think just one cylinder would not be all that was affected by water in the oil system.
          might have some other shop with a Yamaha Master Tech check it out to see if they thing it was water in oil too.

Maybe Rodbolt or Bosco can say what it is about #2 that causes problems.

scored cylinder/piston sounds like overheat/lean fuel/air mix to me maybe
          But I do not know much
          Last edited by 99yam40; 06-23-2016, 08:35 AM.

Comment

typically water in the oil is due to rainwater and leaking remote deck fills.

not the first remote oil fill that leaked and took out a powerhead.

Comment

Rod what about the #2 cylinder scoring he talked about?
              would you think water in the oil would cause only that one cylinder to have scoring?
              Last edited by 99yam40; 06-23-2016, 08:37 AM.

Comment

is there such thing as an Oil/water separator that can be placed inline?

Comment

I like to know how water can get in a sealed unit. the only way i can see water getting in the tank ,is if some one put it in there and i doubt that. I but my own gas in the boat with ring free, an add the yamaha 2m oil to the tank my self. .
                  IMG_4810_zpsblm4q1ei.jpg

Comment

Well i got my Power head back , and hear it is top left cyl. Hard for me to be leave that this is the out come from a water related issue. and if so why just this cylinder, and not the rest? Now on the fuel rail , that injector for that cyl is carbon up. I was ideling up the creek, to the mouth of the bay , so as i take it these 2 cylinders don't come on in tell u you get up on the rpms . Well if that's the case , when i went to get the boat up on plain that's when this happen, I say it was a injector that took that cyl out. Time to take these parts to another Yamaha tech .
                    Attached Files

Comment

I take it you have no remote deck fill? Is there a chance of condensation within the remote tank, like a fuel tank? Speaking of fuel tank, they did check for water in fuel as well, right? In a HPDI, fuel and oil are mixed in the VST, like my OX66? Wouldn't water in fuel and/or oil cause the same problems?

Rodbolt, can you elaborate?
                      Chuck,
                      1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

HPDI UNLIKE OX66 injects oil directly into the intake by the reeds.

OX66 mixs in the VST.
                        the tiny electric pump on the HPDI is used to mix oil at about 1500/1 to assist in lubricating the HP pump and the injectors and it does not run at low speed.

water in the oil typically takes out rod and main bearings and will typically rust any and all shiney surfaces.

Comment

First off Thx for the replies on this matter. Can some one on this fourm explain to me as to why and how that if water and oil are mixed together ,that this would be the outcome to that piston and cylinder and no others? I was filling the holding tank with new 2.5 gal yamaha 2m oil almost every trip or other, with ring free on my gas fill ups.

Comment

like I said.
                            typically water in the oiling system takes out rod and main bearings and creates a lot of rust.
                            the oil and water WONT mix.
                            if the remote tank gets any water in it it settles to the tank bottom.
                            next time the transfer pump turns on it pumps the water to the engine tank where it immediately heads to the oil pump.
                            that's why it is critical to inspect the engine tank water trap.

can you get some cleaner pics of the piston?

Comment

Thx for Ur reply. But is that typical if that where the case 2 take out that cylinder and no others? If water was the case? I can try to get a better pic of the piston.

Comment

Working...
                              X