Not sure what parts this is...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure what parts this is...

Hello everyone, hoping I can get an answer here. This is the first time I've had to sign up for any boat/yamaha forum, and what better place than a yamaha specific forum.

I've got a 1997 Yamaha 115, 2 stroke, and found something that is definitely no good today. I searched parts schematics, etc and cannot figure out what this part is called. It's a housing on the plate between the heads, has a spring in it. it then has a hose that goes from the housing to the lower/lowest point on the engine block itself. I've attached images below for reference, along with my ID tag.

The first image is one I found on the web, the others are from my engine.

Part of the water pressure control system. Poppet valve and spring hold water within the block unit the pressure rises to X value at which time the water pressure overcomes spring pressure and the valve opens. The valve opening keeps the water pressure from rising to an excessive level.

Item 25 in this illustration is the cover.

1997 115TLRV Yamaha Outboard CYLINDER CRANKCASE 2 Diagram and Parts

It goes without saying that you should remove the cowling and inspect your motor more often. Hopefully the salt water has not been ingested into the intake and/or gotten onto the electrics and caused collateral damage.

Lesson learned.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I did find it online a little while ago, in a kit form.

Sadly, the previous owner is at fault here. I've had the boat for a few months now, and been going over it slowly but surely. Redid the trailer, and now I'm on the boat at the engine, replacing what needs to be replaced. The engine runs good, but was obviously not looked at very well. So far I've repaired electrical issues with it not shutting off (found a broken wire/circuit that kills the engine upon ignition off), rebuilt the carbs, etc.

After this part is replaced, I'm going to attempt to check the timing. I've read and reread how to do it, but still a little confused. It's a bit different from your typical motor car setting.

Thanks again for your response, and I'm sure I will be back to figure out how to do the timing

Comment

Working...
      X