250 HPDI Oil light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 250 HPDI Oil light

I have a 03 250 HPDI. Oil light will come on say after 10 min of running. No alarm, Engine does not go into reduction mode. Both tanks have oil. I can make the light go out buy cutting hard left or right. More left. I cannot find any loose conections. Any ideas?

Is this a bass boat with a light on the dash? I suspect so.

The light is grounded to make it illuminate. Loose connections won't do it.

In the engine pan disconnect the wire to the low oil light. See if the light stops coming on when cutting hard left or right. I suspect that it will stop coming on.

Reconnect the wire. If the light now starts coming back on then trace the wire down and find the point where it is chaffing to a ground source.

Comment

lol. Its a bass boat. Will take a look. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
        Is this a bass boat with a light on the dash? I suspect so.

The light is grounded to make it illuminate. Loose connections won't do it.

In the engine pan disconnect the wire to the low oil light. See if the light stops coming on when cutting hard left or right. I suspect that it will stop coming on.

Reconnect the wire. If the light now starts coming back on then trace the wire down and find the point where it is chaffing to a ground source.
        Not coming on when cutting. It will go out. Light is not always on. When I start the day light is off. Comes on after being on the water for a bit.

Comment

sounds like the oil level is dropping too low while running due to filter plugging maybe.
          when you turn hard it moves oil around and turns off the light.
          pull the cowling and run the motor watching the level to see where it is when light comes on
          Just a thought

Comment

If the switch in the main oil tank sensor assembly closes due to a low float (low oil condition) the light will come on but the motor will also go into RPM reduction mode and the alarm will sound.

Given that the RPM reduction mode and alarm are not being activated I am guessing that it is a wiring issue that is causing the low oil light to illuminate.

The light should never illuminate on its own. The light, the alarm and RPM reduction mode should all occur at the same time. It should be either nothing or everything.

I am assuming that the light is a standalone low oil light that some bass boat companies add to the dash. In lieu of installing a Yamaha gauge with either lights or LCD icons.

Now that the OP knows how it works it is up to him to be his own mekanik and find and fix his problem.

Comment

Any way to test the whole system make sure alarm is working?

Comment

Originally posted by talusmonkey View Post
                Any way to test the whole system make sure alarm is working?
                Remove the plastic sump at the bottom of the main engine mounted oil tank. Drain the oil into a clean container and then add it to the remote boat mounted oil tank. Clean, reattach and secure the plastic sump.

Make sure the remote tank is at least half filled.

Turn the key to the on position. The alarm should sound. The low oil quantity light should come on. The electric oil pump on the remote tank should begin to pump oil to the main tank.

When the main oil tank gets half filled the alarm should stop and the light should go out. When the main tank gets filled the oil pump should turn off and stop transferring oil.

The electric oil pump will run for three minutes time or until the main tank is filled. If the main tank is not filled within three minutes time you might want to change the oil filter on the remote mounted oil tank. That and check for kinks in the oil hose or clogs therein.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                  Remove the plastic sump at the bottom of the main engine mounted oil tank. Drain the oil into a clean container and then add it to the remote boat mounted oil tank. Clean, reattach and secure the plastic sump.

Make sure the remote tank is at least half filled.

Turn the key to the on position. The alarm should sound. The low oil quantity light should come on. The electric oil pump on the remote tank should begin to pump oil to the main tank.

When the main oil tank gets half filled the alarm should stop and the light should go out. When the main tank gets filled the oil pump should turn off and stop transferring oil.

The electric oil pump will run for three minutes time or until the main tank is filled. If the main tank is not filled within three minutes time you might want to change the oil filter on the remote mounted oil tank. That and check for kinks in the oil hose or clogs therein.

Thanks. System works alarm came on and stayed on. Ran for three minutes and shut off at the first arrow. Not enough to turn alarm off, but I know its working. Found a wire that has broke will see if this is the cause. Again thanks at least I know i am getting oil.

Comment

If it did not fill in that time you need to replace the filter.
                    clean the tanks when you drain them also

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                      If it did not fill in that time you need to replace the filter.
                      clean the tanks when you drain them also
                      Yup. Was thinking same thing when it did not fill past the first arrow . It took another 30 seconds for alarm to stop sounding

Comment

Working...
                      X