Lower Unit Paint-SX150TXRZ-Paint Code 8D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Unit Paint-SX150TXRZ-Paint Code 8D

Time to paint my lower unit. I am thinking of using "Color Rite Aerosol Complete Repair Package, Yamaha 008D Dark Bluish Gray #1 (DBN1)". It contains the primer, base, and clear coat. The primer is not zinc chromate (Green), like original. Thereore, I may lean towards Moeller zinc chomate primer, base coat, and clear coat; however not sure Moeller's match for Yamaha paint code 8D.
    Anyone have input/advice on this project?

Thanks, Chuck
    Last edited by cpostis; 07-30-2016, 04:21 PM.
    Chuck,
    1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

No matter which paint supplier you use it can be difficult to get a good colour match. Now if the entire lower unit is going to be painted the difference in colour between the lower unit and the mid-section might not be as noticeable as it might otherwise be.

In any case, it is best to stay with one suppliers products. That is, don't mix a primer from one suppler with a top coat from another supplier. They might not play well together.

If you are not going to strip all of the paint off the lower unit I am not so sure that a zinc chromate primer is really needed.

Comment

Thanks Boscoe.
      The skeg paint is gone to bare metal. I use my boat strictly in salt water, and prefer zinc chromate primer. I'll strip the entire lower unit and use the Moeller paints. I just messaged them to be sure of their exact/closest match.

Chuck
      Chuck,

Comment

Wish I could find someone to sandblast and polish mine. Like the guys that have
        racing Mercs. No way to keep painted around here.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
          No way to keep painted around here.
          Sure there is!

I painted mine before I installed so there wasn't bare aluminum to corrode.

I did have it custom made with the drain towards the rear. It comes with the drain at the front... No more re-painting for me. And it, as pictured, meet the dirt, scallops, etc (no rocks over here).

If you look close, you can see the re-paint towards the front of the skeg (Yamaha paint W/O clear coat) above it

Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I saw your Skeggard 99015 in earlier posts/pics. Was thinking of that myself, but was concerned with drilling two 5/16" holes in the lower unit as well as deposits stuck between the guard and the skeg. I guess you feel confident with it? Did you ever find the need to pull it and check for deposits/corrosion in/between the different metals? Custom drain hole at the rear, how did you go about that?
            From your posts, I see you are meticulous. Tell me more about your take on this, please.

Thanks, Chuck
            Chuck,

Comment

No rocks around here either fortunately. I am missing paint above the skeg. Lots actually. Bump sometimes going through inlets. Bars move a lot. 6-9 ft tides here. Thought it would be cool just to strip and polish the thing.

Comment

Originally posted by cpostis View Post
                I saw your Skeggard 99015 in earlier posts/pics. Was thinking of that myself, but was concerned with drilling two 5/16" holes in the lower unit as well as deposits stuck between the guard and the skeg. I guess you feel confident with it? Did you ever find the need to pull it and check for deposits/corrosion in/between the different metals? Custom drain hole at the rear, how did you go about that?
                From your posts, I see you are meticulous. Tell me more about your take on this, please.

Thanks, Chuck
                There two 1/4" hole's total (as I re-call).

The Skeggard fits like a glove, literally. You can also epoxy the gaurd on and eliminate all water, etc from entering it. The bolt and "nuts" are designed to shear off should you hit something hard enough so you don't loose your entire skeg..

Now when washing the motor (or on the muffs), water does run down into it and you can see the fresh water exit thru the drain hole.

Re the custom location of the hole.

The stock one comes with the hole at the FRONT. I gather for draining as most folks would trim up (out of the water) normally. Just looking at that location, IMO, you run aground, your jambing sand, crap etc in that drain hole-not good..

As in my pic, I'm on the lift as well (I could leave the engine trimmed up a little) but again, I didn't want that drain hole getting clogged from normal usage.

I contacted the company and learned the drain hole is drilled in the SS BEFORE it's bent and welded.

I requested to order one with the drain hole at the back. He couldn't put it directly at the back, but just slightly forward (from the rear) on the port side.

I did loose about 1 MPH off the top end but really couldn't feel it otherwise...

There was NO extra charge for this, no deposit, just gave him my name and #. Maybe 2 weeks later, got the call, and paid for it direct from the manufacturer(no middleman charges).

The guy that answered the phone, he was the only one I ever spoke with so I think its a very small company. As for customer service, can't complain at all. He answers his phone, know's his stuff, custom order with no deposit and the unit as noted earlier, fits like a glove.

I work with aluminum, weld /bend steel and I don't know how they get it to fit so well. I don't have anything to do with the company but would purchase again.

Here's the manufacturers link: http://skeggard.com/
                Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 06-23-2016, 06:57 AM.
                Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                X