F150 or F250?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F150 or F250?

For Father's day my wife bought me a 2005 21' Proline W/A that has a Honda 150 with 105hrs. Best I got on the shakedown cruise with 3 adult and two todders was 35mph (paddle wheel) at 5900rpm. It's noisey and felt underpower. Will I get better performance with a used F150 or should I search for a F250 w/o corrosion issues?

bigger is always better. Wait until you have 8 adults on some sort of ****tail cruise. 75 yards to get on plane......sell the 150 if you can afford to upgrade. You can run at lower rpm and prob get same or better mileage.

Comment

Originally posted by Reel Kahuna View Post
      For Father's day my wife bought me a 2005 21' Proline W/A that has a Honda 150 with 105hrs. Best I got on the shakedown cruise with 3 adult and two todders was 35mph (paddle wheel) at 5900rpm. It's noisey and felt underpower. Will I get better performance with a used F150 or should I search for a F250 w/o corrosion issues?
      I have a similar set up but 20'4" CC, F150. With about 40 gallons fuel, (5 gallons fresh water in CC), Skeggard (lost about 1 MPH with that) another adult passenger, the max speed I get is 45 MPH per GPS, also at 5,900 RPMs.

However, I don't have a problem at all jumping up on plane and getting up to speed at all..

Plug your information here and see. Its pretty accurate:
      Outboard Performance, Performance Bulletins | Yamaha Outboards
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I'm betting his boat is heavier than ours.....what is the dry weight OP?

Comment

Townsend - what do you use your fresh water for? I had a tank and other than rinsing sunglasses it was next to useless. Removed it to save a few pounds....

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
            Townsend - what do you use your fresh water for? I had a tank and other than rinsing sunglasses it was next to useless. Removed it to save a few pounds....
            Its tucked up to the front of the center console with a 12 volt pump next to it. I then have a "coiled" marine garden hose that reaches way beyond the console.

I use it mostly when fishing (rinsing hands of fish goo), when swimming/ beach, I can easily get 3-4 short showers out of it to get the salt water off my person.

And if really hot outside, hose myself / passengers down for a quick cool off.

A little extra ballast up front to offset the engine too...
            Scott

Comment

According to the NADA specs, weight is 2100# dry

Comment

If that is accurate dry weight, it should go a little faster I would think. My century 20ft CC is #2300lbs DRY weight with F150 and tops at 44mph. Granted, the original owner should have ordered the 200hp motor. Wonder if you have one of those waste disposal places with a drive on scale or maybe a truck stop. Hopefully all the foam in the hull isn't wet....

Comment

Originally posted by Reel Kahuna View Post
                  You had better check the manufacturer's max HP for your boat. From what I could find its only 200 so a 250 would be over powered. Also suggest looking around to see how comparable boats are powered - checking the used models for sale I see that lots of your make and model are equipped with a 150 - seems to satisfy a lot of folks. I doubt you will get better performance with a new 150 unless there is something very wrong with your existing motor - Honda makes a great machine so I would work with that first. Re-powering to a different brand has a lot of hidden costs in changing out the rigging and instruments.

In my opinion there is nothing worse than an underpowered boat - well, ok, some things are worse, like an underpowered airplane, and the feel of "power" is a personal thing, so if the motor is running right and you still feel it is underpowered and have the funds to do it, then go up to the max on the boat sticker. Just don't expect to be giggly happy with a new F150. Besides, your wife might take offense if you change the color!

Comment

Insurance companies don't like it when you overpower. They ask for serial numbers, but will cancel policy if they find out.

Comment

I guess I'll run the Honda for the Summer and hopefully get used to it...it's just that I'm a Yamaha diehard.

Comment

Here's the 2005 Proline brochure. Your specs are listed on page 8. Dry weight is listed as 2,500 lbs. Trailer weight is listed as 3,800 lbs (fully loaded, minus passengers/crew). Max HP is listed as 200.

Hope this helps!
                        Last edited by cpostis; 06-29-2016, 08:33 AM.
                        Chuck,
                        1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Well, between the extra weight of the hull and your load, the 200 would be the way to go.

I know my boats rated for a 150 HP engine, (and that was way before the heavier 4 strokes).

I believe Yamaha has an inline 200 4 stroke now.
                          Scott

Comment

It helped, Thx

Comment

Working...
                            X