No announcement yet.

Yamaha HPDI Reduction Mode (Safe Mode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha HPDI Reduction Mode (Safe Mode)

Hello All,

Does anyone know when the motor goes into reduction mode (limitation of 1800-2000 RPM's) does it turn off cylinders? I am dropping cylinders 2,3,5 when driving around.

Yamaha HPDI 2007 200
    Last edited by marinesteve; 06-22-2016, 04:19 PM.

Do you have an alarm coming in when this happens?
    if not then check to see if the motor thinks it is still in neutral.
    those motors try to limit RPM while in neutral by dropping cylinders

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      Do you have an alarm coming in when this happens?
      if not then check to see if the motor thinks it is still in neutral.
      those motors try to limit RPM while in neutral by dropping cylinders
      I am having no alarm go off, but the yamaha command link multi-function-tachometer is not showing any issues other than the Trim / Tilt being all the way up (full bars and top bar is flashing).

YDS Says everything looks great (Go Figure!)

*I am not sure the alarms works or if it comes with one for this motor.

Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Did you check with the software while the problems was happening to see if the ECU was seeing the motor in gear when it was?

Yes they have an alarm.
        try testing the buzzer

Comment

Did you check with the software while the problems was happening to see if the ECU was seeing the motor in gear when it was?

Yes they have an alarm.
          try testing the buzzer
          Tested the ground wire to the yellow wire with a test light and the horn started to buzz in our console ignition switch.

The ECU was showing that the shift switch was OFF the whole time, even though the cylinders were dropping out(seen on the yds system). Cylinder 2 first then #3 and then #5.

If you have a few minutes. I have attached a zip file of the yds diagnostics. If you scoll down you can see the cylinders dropping off etc.

Also, sorry to overwhelm you (haha) but this is what was completed so far to fix this issue:
          New Fuel seperator
          new vst filter screen (previous was gunned and garity/dirty)
          New Record filter(water/fuel separator on motor) (filthy looked like it had a small toothpick size hole)
          New Oil inline filter
          New Spark plugs
          Separate gas tank sea trial ( thought it was water, but no difference)
          New Low pressure fuel pumps
          Medium pressure pump (silver canister)
          New Battery group 27 (210 RC)
          New Fuel Line with new primer bulb (yamaha specific part)
          New Shift switch sensor on motor
          New Shifter Sensor (the one on the shifter itself)
          New Injector Screens
          New Checked the grounds on the motor
          Attached Files
          Last edited by marinesteve; 06-20-2016, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Test your fuel pumps.

Comment

Originally posted by 89mako261 View Post
              Test your fuel pumps.
              Can you be a bit more specific? Why do you think the pumps would cause reduction mode like this?

Comment

If the high pressure pump fails it will put the motor in reduction mode.

Comment

Originally posted by 89mako261 View Post
                  If the high pressure pump fails it will put the motor in reduction mode.
                  How does this do that?

usually if HP pump does not run it just does not have the fuel pressure to run properly, not turn off certain cylinders

way too much info for me to see properly with this old computer without the proper software.

I would think that there should be a line that said in gear/neutral or not

Comment

How does this do that?

usually if HP pump does not run it just does not have the fuel pressure to run properly, not turn off certain cylinders

way too much info for me to see properly with this old computer without the proper software.

I would think that there should be a line that said in gear/neutral or not
                    Great thanks for the explaination. Here is some info below of the motor from yds, looks like the fuel pressure is in range or should this be also tested manually with the feul pressure gauge

Thanks.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by marinesteve; 06-20-2016, 08:00 PM.

Comment

In a 2007 Z200 HPDI the only things that will put the motor RPM reduction mode are (1) over temperature of that motor, (2) low oil quantity in the engine mounted tank of that motor and (3) a sister motor, if installed, going into RPM reduction mode.

An HPDI can continue to run with a complete HP pump failure albeit at a low RPM from a lack of gasoline. The motor will not go into RPM reduction mode.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                        In a 2007 Z200 HPDI the only things that will put the motor RPM reduction mode are (1) over temperature of that motor, (2) low oil quantity in the engine mounted tank of that motor and (3) a sister motor, if installed, going into RPM reduction mode.

An HPDI can continue to run with a complete HP pump failure albeit at a low RPM from a lack of gasoline. The motor will not go into RPM reduction mode.
                        My yds diagnostics says it has dual motor on, but i only have one motor will this cause the issue? How can i turn that off?

Temperture is never above 130degrees
                        Oil is good no issues there always full and the multi tac says 3 solid bars no flashing.

"Dual engine switch on" is showing in yds but i only have one motor!

Thank you for answering my original question that will be useful for others.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Don't get yourself all hung up on going into "safe mode" if there is no alarm (and the alarm works) it is not safe mode.

Comment

Can someone state what the in gear or neutral switch would be called on the YDS print out.
                            I am not sure it would be called shift switch or not.

And are the cylinders he is dropping the ones that are dropped if RPM rises too high in neutral

Comment

Can someone state what the in gear or neutral switch would be called on the YDS print out.
                              I am not sure it would be called shift switch or not.

And are the cylinders he is dropping the ones that are dropped if RPM rises too high in neutral

From my understanding cylinders 2 and 3 will be off during neutral. As for the shift switch im not sure, my guess is based on the yds system when putting the motor into forward and neutral.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X