Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dropping Lower Unit

1997 Yamaha C90TLRV

I dropped the LU recently to replace gearcase seals & water pump. Engine was in neutral. Put everything back together, and now it is difficult to shift into reverse. I pulled the shift linkage, and it is still difficult to move the shift mechanism by hand. I'm going to pull the gearcase again and see if I missed something. It's this engine supposed to be in gear when you pull the lower unit?

EDIT: I had my wife slowly spin the prop clockwise and it shifted easily into gear. I may have just answered my own question
    Last edited by MarshMarlowe; 06-19-2016, 09:47 AM.

Originally posted by MarshMarlowe View Post
    1997 Yamaha C90TLRV

I dropped the LU recently to replace gearcase seals & water pump. Engine was in neutral. Put everything back together, and now it is difficult to shift into reverse. I pulled the shift linkage, and it is still difficult to move the shift mechanism by hand. I'm going to pull the gearcase again and see if I missed something. It's this engine supposed to be in gear when you pull the lower unit?

EDIT: I had my wife slowly spin the prop clockwise and it shifted easily into gear. I may have just answered my own question
    I suspect that you have. It can be difficult, if not impossible, to shift a motor from neutral into a gear (particularly reverse) if the motor is not running.

Comment

NEVER EVER EVER shift that motor without rotating either the propshaft or the drive shaft.
      that goes for most all mechanical dog clutch designs.

shifting without any rotation is a great way to bend shafts,break cables, destroy shift cams and break control box links.

Comment

Working...
      X