1999 2 stroke 115

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 2 stroke 115

Hey guys new to the forum and of course, I need help. I've searched other topics without any luck so here I am. I have a 1999 yamaha 115 2 stroke that's setting an alarm. Started yesterday about 5 minutes after I started riding. Whenever the alarm goes off the engine starts skipping. If I idle down to about 2000 rpm the engine quits skipping and runs fine. After about 60-90 seconds the alarm will quit and I can resume throttle wherever I please. It will come back on after about 2 minutes. My gauges don't work so I don't know if it's oil related or temp related. I check my oil reservoir on the engine everytime I put the boat in the water and yesterday was no different and the reservoir was 1/2 full. When the alarm started going off I checked it again and it was full so I know that it's pumping oil from my tank on the boat to the tank on the motor. It's also mixing because it's smoking. I also unplugged both temp sensors with no effect. Any info or directions to some info would be greatly appreciated.
    After some tests, let me add some more information. I just got back in from doing some checks that I thought would help me and whoever reads this. I unhooked both temp sensors and checked with dmm and both sensors read open. (Guessing normally open and boat is in yard on trailer so engine is cold). Next I pulled the oil level sensor out of the reservoir on motor and with key on engine off, moved the float from full to empty. Whenever float got to empty the alarm sounded and pump started filling reservoir. I tried moving the float off center of the guide a little trying to find a bad spot somewhere and worked it worked normally. Leaning towards temp sensors? Not having a working gauge sucks. Anyone with gauge for sale? If so I'd be interested.
    Last edited by Matthew C; 06-18-2016, 05:59 PM. Reason: Tested and wanted to offer more info

Hey matt. Reply back with your engine model. The pros on here will want to know. Im confused when you say an alarm goes off. Since you have no gauge, what alarm are you referring to? I assume an audible alarm, though when there arent hooked up (oil/heat) i didnt know the engine would alarm. You should have a lanyard alarm, and if so then that sound is like a horn. Though if this was the problem the engine would kill unless you've got a short in the ignition.

Skipping as in how? Like fuel starvation sound? Ya im not sure. Reply back with more detail from above and we'll see.
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

there is a buzzer in the remote control that will sound when an alarm state is reached for low oil or high temp.
      motor will go into a RPM reduction/limit to around 2000 RPM.
      He is just looking for a gauge.

OP
      they sell new ones on this site
      if you are looking for a used one try e bay

Comment

Really, that's sweet. A feature i did not know. So if I understand you correctly, the binnacle has the actual sensors, the gauge is just for a visual readout?

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        there is a buzzer in the remote control that will sound when an alarm state is reached for low oil or high temp.
        motor will go into a RPM reduction/limit to around 2000 RPM.
        He is just looking for a gauge.

OP
        they sell new ones on this site
        if you are looking for a used one try e bay
        Jason
        1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

The warning buzzer is a part of the key switch panel.

When the alarm is heard STOP the motor. And then figure out what is the problem.

Certain Yamaha tachometers will activate lights to tell what the warning buzzer is buzzing for.

Reminds me of the pilot on final approach. Tower was trying to contact him. His buzzer was buzzing. He could not hear the tower because of the buzzing. He was too busy trying to hear the tower and was ignoring the buzzer. He landed with his gear up. Tower and the buzzer were both trying to tell him to put his gear down.

Comment

The alarm sounds and the motor goes into power reduction. I'm not sure why, and also don't know how many conditions will cause the audible alarm. I've only found 2 conditions that will cause the alarm from reading on other posts. Heat and Oil. My gauge on the console is the Tach, and has the oil/temp/trim and hours on it, but the previous owner must have left the boat in the sun 24/7 and the lcd display looks melted in the gauge so I cant see what is causing the alarm. Just wondering if anyone on here might have an idea of how to tell which is causing it. I've had the boat for 2 years and honestly didn't even know that the alarm even worked because the gauge was melted. I'm not an outboard mechanic by any means, but been an auto technician for 12 years and feel like I could figure it out with a little guidance. I don't think it's in the oil level sensors, but unplugged the temp sensors while the alarm was going off and didn't make it stop. I guess my real question is if it's oil related, would it cause the motor to go into power reduction, and the same for heat? Is oil and heat the only thing that will make the alarm go off?

Comment

Low oil level and over temp will set the alarm and RPM reduction just as I said before.

if you have been an auto technician for 12 years, you should know how important a service manual would be for your model motor to get info on it.

I would find the over temp devices and disconnect when the alarm is sounding to see if that made the alarm stop to see which one is causing it,
              and/or measure the temp at the device to see what it is reading at the time.
              have you checked/replaced stats, water pump, and PRV?

Comment

Working...
              X