04 Yamaha 50D start up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 04 Yamaha 50D start up

What are the actual proper start up procedures. The manual just says try for five seconds. The bypass is to pop up the cowling and flip the switch on the port side. Some say to push the key in. Some say to hold for three seconds, pause and turn key again. Just trying to figure it out.

Sorry about that didnt know I couldnt post to an old thread.

The assumption is that we are talking about a 50 HP two stroke Yamaha. 50TLRD model for instance. That would be a 2005 model year Yam.

Page 29 of the owner's manual provides the normal starting procedure.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/s...05-84_1020.pdf

With the fuel system having been primed by pumping the primer ball until it is goodntite, turn the key to the start position and engage the starter motor but for no longer than five seconds at a time. If the motor is warmed up it might be beneficial to crack the throttle open just a tad by advancing the throttle handle with the motor in neutral gear.

Pushing the key is does nothing on this particular model.

Are you having a problem getting the motor started? Cold, hot or ?

Comment

Im sorry, cold. I had to take off the cowling and flip the little red switch on the port side of the engine. Once I did that I only ran it maybe 4-5 seconds, cut it and restarted it. It started right back up just turning the key didnt have touch the red switch on the port side.

Yes sir, I did read that page but when I tried as recommended in manual didnt work.
      Last edited by Justinbrow56; 06-18-2016, 05:32 PM.

Comment

make sure the red lever is in the normal position so that the prime start enrichment system will work

Comment

So did all thee above, I guess the old man didnt know it can take up to five seconds to get going. New problem...

Got it running had it hooked up to ears and now its not bringing in any water. Stopped the engine adjusted the ears turned water back on still nothing so I held the ears to the lower unit and when it started to pee it was HOT. Like I couldnt hold my hand in it hot. Before it even started to pee you could steam come out of the pee hole.

Water pump or impeller might be bad? He said he just changed them in November. He hadnt had it running much due to a knee surgery. I can do basic mechanic work doesnt look too hard, to do yourself. But then again I have never worked on an outboard motor.

Comment

Just having this boat / engine new to you, it wouldn't hurt to replace the water pump.

Its not that difficult to change out and YOU KNOW ITS been done.

There's been many posts here of old WP's (from sitting or a new owner got screwed) disintegrating and rubber parts pumped thru out the block causing other issues...

Get the entire KIT and pay close attention to ANY HEAT warp-age to the impeller housing (not included).
            If there's ANY, replace it
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
            X