• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sizing a prop

the boat 20' 1999 Gulf Coast
    2003 VX150TLRB lower unit on a 1999 DX150TLRX upper
    Prop size estimate??

Is the company that made your boat still in business? If so, do they still make your model? If so, I would call them and ask for a suggestion. I would then take their suggestion and drop the pitch by two inches. Or maybe call a Gulf Coast Boats dealer and see what they say. Again, the drop down two inches rule applies.

Gulf Coast Boats 2015 GC 200

You can go to the Performance Bulletin section of Yamaha's website and try and find a boat that is similar to yours that has a VX150 on it. Or any 150 HP motor really. See what propeller they used for the PB. Maybe buy that one but with two inches less pitch.

Performance Bulletins -Archive | Yamaha Outboards

By the way, do you have the 150 lower unit installed on your motor now? it should have been plug and play. Was it?

Comment

Boscoe99

Yes Sir, It was a perfect fit!!
      Cant say thank you!!! enough for it to really express my gratitude for all of your advise.
      The only issue on the install was the plastic nipple for the speedometer was to small of a diameter, but I can find another and install through the opening in the casing
      Again, I really appreciate all of your advise and instruction

Kind regards,, Mike
      Now on to the prop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
      Is the company that made your boat still in business? If so, do they still make your model? If so, I would call them and ask for a suggestion. I would then take their suggestion and drop the pitch by two inches. Or maybe call a Gulf Coast Boats dealer and see what they say. Again, the drop down two inches rule applies.

Gulf Coast Boats 2015 GC 200

You can go to the Performance Bulletin section of Yamaha's website and try and find a boat that is similar to yours that has a VX150 on it. Or any 150 HP motor really. See what propeller they used for the PB. Maybe buy that one but with two inches less pitch.

Performance Bulletins -Archive | Yamaha Outboards

By the way, do you have the 150 lower unit installed on your motor now? it should have been plug and play. Was it?

Comment

speedometer nipple

When I received the new lower unit, the threaded port for the nipple has a rubber sleeve inserted and they sent me a hose barb to install in this hole.
        the part # that's shown for this is 6E5-45378-00 and is a threaded end ,not a barb.
        Am I to pull out the rubber insert and just thread in the specified part# or find a correct size barb and go with that? The barb that was sent is to loose in the rubber sleeve.

Comment

The hose nipple should be threaded on one side and barbed on the other side. The threaded end should screw into the lower unit. The barbed side will connect to a hose that runs to the speedometer.

Comment

trial run with new prop

Ended up buying a Power Tech 4 Blade in 5-1/4 x 17 P
            Trial run yesterday proves pretty nice
            Hole shot is as good as my TRP but Slips at first until I lowered the jack plate and then jumps right up when adjusted lower to start off.
            Top RPM was 5100 (same as TRP WOT)
            New prop has a lot more Push power as I have to trim it down at 4000 rpm to keep it from raising the bow(porpoising)
            Ill have to get used to the new sound it makes with the 4 blade and also the shape of the prop wash, which is noticeably different than the TRP

Comment

Good choice

I like my PowerTech too

QUOTE=GulfCoast56;120885]Ended up buying a Power Tech 4 Blade in 5-1/4 x 17 P
              Trial run yesterday proves pretty nice
              Hole shot is as good as my TRP but Slips at first until I lowered the jack plate and then jumps right up when adjusted lower to start off.
              Top RPM was 5100 (same as TRP WOT)
              New prop has a lot more Push power as I have to trim it down at 4000 rpm to keep it from raising the bow(porpoising)
              Ill have to get used to the new sound it makes with the 4 blade and also the shape of the prop wash, which is noticeably different than the TRP[/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
              X