1993 200 trxx How does it charge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 200 trxx How does it charge

Quick question on how the engine charges the battery. I only seem to see one big power wire (4ga) which I am assuming is for the starter. How does it get power back to the battery to charge the battery. Is there supposed to be another cable or does it back feed on that line? I am asking because I need to add another battery with a switch so I want to make sure both will get topped off while running.

Thanks for any help

Electrical current flows from the battery to the motor to operate the electrical starter motor. Current flows from the battery to the motor if at any time the electrical generation system on the motor is incapable of supplying the current that is needed by the motor. Say when the trim system is being used.

Whenever the motor is running electrical current is generated. Some of that current goes to operate the motor. Some of that current flows back through the battery cables to recharge a battery. Or two. Or three.

Current that is generated and not needed is wasted in the form of heat.

If two or more batteries are installed there are devices that will automatically parallel (connect together) two batteries whenever the motor is running. Both will be recharged. Whenever the motor is off the two batteries will automatically be disconnected from each other. With this set up you can use one battery dedicated to starting the motor. The other battery will do everything else. If the motor is off then you can run the one battery to complete exhaustion knowing that the start battery will be completely unaffected and available to restart the motor. Once the motor is started on its own battery and the electrical generation system is producing current the two batteries will be automatically paralleled so that the depleted battery can be recharged.

I used the Yandina combiner and it works very well. Good bang for the buck. Simple as pie to installed. Only three short wires to connect between the two batteries.

Combiner 100 Sheet

Comment

Good info to have, but I am still confused as to how Yamaha is sending power back to the battery, I only see one line. I just want to make sure that everything is separated and connected together correctly. I see one big cable and i am not seeing anything that looks like it's coming from the stator to charge the battery unless its coming back over the same cable that the starter is using.

Comment

Originally posted by sony224422 View Post
        Good info to have, but I am still confused as to how Yamaha is sending power back to the battery, I only see one line. I just want to make sure that everything is separated and connected together correctly. I see one big cable and i am not seeing anything that looks like it's coming from the stator to charge the battery unless its coming back over the same cable that the starter is using.
        What are you trying to do? Is there a problem starting the motor? Is there a problem with the battery being recharged?

Why is there a need to be connecting anything?

Look at item 34 in this illustration. It is the battery cable. Note that at the end of one of the two leads there is a smaller lead that branches off. The smaller lead will connect somewhere that is usually the point where the lead from the rectifier/regulator is attached. There may very well be a fuse between the rectifier/regulator and the point to where it gets attached some where.

When starting the motor the heavy current will flow up the heavy battery lead to the starter motor. Once the motor is running current then flows from the rectifier/regulator to the battery. The current will make its way to the smaller lead at the end of the battery cable. The current will then jumper to the heavy battery cable lead and flow back to the battery.

http://yamahamc.partsandwarranty.com...1462905&Page=1

Comment

ahh i see. What I am doing is connecting an ARC to my second battery to recharge once the starting battery is topped off. We camp a lot and I am moving everything over to a house battery so the fridge and lights can run and kill the battery and I can still start. I think I will have to remove one side and run my own 10 gauge back in to the switch so it can trip the relay correctly

Comment

With the Yandina combiner all you need to do is to have the two batteries side by side. Connected to each other with a ground lead. Then the Yandina combiner connects to the two batteries. Two red leads. One for each positive terminal. One black lead for one of the ground terminals.

It will be all automatic from then on.

Comment

I have no idea how much current(amps) your 1993 200 is capable of putting out, but charging a battery from dead (if you run the house battery that long) probably is not a very good idea to do over and over.
              Normally you have the motor maintain the charge.

of coarse the large newer motors probably put out something close to a car, but not sure if that old 93 does
              just something to think about

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                I have no idea how much current(amps) your 1993 200 is capable of putting out, but charging a battery from dead (if you run the house battery that long) probably is not a very good idea to do over and over.
                Normally you have the motor maintain the charge.

of coarse the large newer motors probably put out something close to a car no where close, Yam still uses antiquated motorcycle charging technology, but not sure if that old 93 does
                just something to think about
                25 amperes maximum at 5500 is what his motor produces. Less at lower RPM's. Some of that current will be needed by the motor. Gonna take a while to recharge a mostly depleted battery.

Comment

Rodbolt mentioned in post couple weeks ago that many yamaha's have a built
                  in isolater. How could I tell if my 2004 F150 has been rigged using it?

Comment

I don't plan on running it down every time or really ever, its more of an emergency thing. I have an a/c tender that will charge both banks and i may add a solar panel too for keeping it topped off. All my boats have had more than one battery with a switch, and this one doesn't so i am going to add it and wire it so i have a separate starting battery that i know is always charged. I have the blue sea add a battery, and some new fuse panels and wiring to add

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                      Rodbolt mentioned in post couple weeks ago that many yamaha's have a built
                      in isolater. How could I tell if my 2004 F150 has been rigged using it?
                      How many batteries have you? Look at your second battery, if you have one, for the presence of an electrical lead that comes from the rigging tube.

You can also find the isolator lead on your motor and see if there is a harness connected to it that runs to the rigging tube.

Comment

Boscoe- thanks, 2 batteries I do have, might you have a diagram showing location of isolator connector/lead?

Comment

Sorry OP! I didn't intend to screw up your thread!

Comment

i have 2 large batteries connected to each other for the house batteries for leaving on the fridge and anchor light, and my main "small" starting only battery. The person I bought the boat from was not mechanically or electrically inclined and bought the smallest starting battery he could. It starts just fine but it makes me nervous relying on it to run everything while anchored and then to have to start. I have plenty of room to add a house bank and most of my stuff is LED and low current. Minus the fridge being on i draw 8.2 amps with every light on, and .75 amps with the anchor light on. Not much but a couple hours of interior lights on and cooling down the fridge i can easily pull 20 amps. Thats why i want to be able to have the engine charge the batteries. I am not going to expect it to be able to maintain or fully recharge the house batteries, but I like blue seas system that it always tops off the starting battery before connecting to the secondary batteries. I can always just plug into shore power when I get back for those, but if the engine can maintain them when we are fishing or running about that would be the best option.

Now, for the leads, I will have to investigate more tomorrow with the cover off. If its as easy as taking a wire off and adding a 10ga from the stator to the switch for it to be able to charge both banks through the blue seas relay i will do that.

Comment

I see what you're saying now. I was trying to make this too complicated. The blue seas add a battery does the same thing that you're using. I do not need to separate the starter from the charging line, the arc does that. Very simple install. I'll be adding the optional start line and another switch they recommend to kill any power for storage. My tender even hooks up to it easily. Very well thought out product

Comment

Working...
                              X