2003 2 stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 2 stroke

Have chance to buy a 2003 Palm Beach White Cap with the original and 1 owner 2003 Yamaha 150 TXRB, hours unknown. Before I pay to get it checked out are there any issues with that motor that I need to know about. I had a previous 250 that blew the #2 cylinder and I learned too late that was a known problem. All insights appreciated.

I have a 2004 150 TRXC which I bought used two years ago with 325 hrs. On the good side: neighbor who worked in the Alaskan fisheries said that this is top-rated 2-cycle for commercial fishing in Alaska. For all appearances, it seems to be better built than my old Johnson which went over 3000 hrs without a hiccup. On the negative: its been two years of sporadic trouble since I bought it. Initial problem was my own fault. Apparently engine sat unused for possibly years. I should have drained the gas tank, drained the fuel system lines and carbs, put on a new 10 micron fuel/water separator before ever trying to start the engine. This and a couple of times thru the sonic cleaner for the carbs followed by running a high mix of Sea Foam thru the engine. My problems are on-going but as I don't know the engine's history, its hard to throw mud at a machine which apparently has a good reputation. Definitely have a reliable mechanic look at it before buying! This website is an excellent source of info if you like to do things yourself.

Comment

Thanks for the insight - gives me confidence to make an offer although I would much prefer a 4 stroke. However, the boat is good for its age so will sea trial and see where we go.

Comment

taken care of?
        that 150 is good for over 5000 hrs with no issues.

never heard of a known issue with a 250 piston.

now a Z250 is another horse.

neglect that 150 and it can die a sudden violent death.

Comment

2003 2 stroke

Hey Rodbolt thanks!!!
          Once before you gave me insight and I appreciate your obvious expertise. Sounds like the 150 is just right for me. Need to convince myself to get back into the boat business.
          Incidentally, I was the guy last year who had the blown piston in a 250 and regretably I never checked in with you guys in the know until I ruined the motor, and yes it was a used LZ250, My Bad.Once again deep thanks for your considered opinion.

Comment

Working...
          X