2005 90 tlr 2 stroke overheat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 90 tlr 2 stroke overheat

Bought boat used from dealer sun coast inflatables dealer said engine worked great. Turned on key in driveway but did not start and noticed the over heat indicator was flashing lower left corner. Ran engine first time on lake and would not plane or go over 2,000 rpm. No alarm sounded. Took to mechanic who said water pump housing had failed and metal cup was spinning with impeller. Changed out pump housing and light still blinking. Had him check alarm by starting with no lanyard and still no alarm. I saw post about how Yamaha instrument s are set up as 4 stroke and not 2 strokes. Does this cause overheat to blink and not sound buzzer? I read that improper set up will cause oil level to not read 3 bars only far right. I have blinking bar on left and sold bar far right.

Thanks in advance

The audible buzzer should sound when cranking on either a 2 or 4 stroke, shouldn't make a difference with the safety tab pulled...

There's an issue there...

2 or 4 strokes are going to be running at roughly the same temps. So I believe that's a moot point

Do you know if the mechanic got ALL the IMPELLER OUT (as they tend to come apart)?

I hope your not cranking/starting without water/muffs ON..
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 06-09-2016, 05:46 PM. Reason: Clarified post
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Yes they ran it on muffs and have good flow. They took it to ramp and ran on trailer and did not think it was in protect mode. Asked what rpm it hit and the said they did not look.

My question is (1)will having the gauge set on 4 stk mode cause buzzer to not sound and (2 )will the overheat indicator blink because gauge is set on 4 stroke not 2 stroke. Crossing fingers that it will not be guardian mode when I take it out.

Thanks for the info guys

Comment

They should also be able to plug it into their lap top while operating it and check for faults.

If that engine has been on that hull for sometime, I have to doubt anyone went under the dash and changed settings. There's no reason to mess with it..

With the pump replaced (and there's no obstructions) you should NOT be getting any overheat alarms.
        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 06-09-2016, 05:51 PM.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

The gauge has nothing to do with the buzzer.

The buzzer should sound if the motor is in RPM reduction mode (low oil quantity or over temperature). The buzzer should sound if and when the motor is cranked and the kill switch lanyard has been pulled from the clip.

The gauge does need to be set to the two stroke position. 12 pole generator. Two wire sender.

What is the complete model identity of your motor? Does the tachometer have two four pin nylon connectors at the back or just one? Not talking about the single wires with bullet connectors.

Comment

I will take a look at back of gauge this weekend. The engine is a 90 TLR 2005 precision blend. It has 33 hours on it. I know it is in the 4 stoke mode Because I only have a bar on far right and blinking bar on left .

Comment

Kind of doubt the blinking light has much to do with 4 stroke "mode" but that said, stranger things have happened.

Comment

Found this on forums sounds like my problem.

This was the problem

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a Bluewave CC 190 classic with a 90TLR yamaha 2-cycle. I noticed that by putting the key in the on (not start) position the overheat indicator was blinking the bottom right corner. It has the yamaha digital multi function tach. I proceeded to take it out on the water since I noticed the hour meter was still at zero and started the normal break in of the motor. The light flashed the whole time (no audible alarm) but the motor never got hot and the pee stream was nice and strong. The water temp was around 62 degrees and after about 30-40 minutes I placed the boat in neutral and checked the pee stream, it was barely warm. Continued on for another 30-40 minutes, still flashing.
                This was the fix was

Re: overheat indicator on 2007 yamaha 90TLR

on the back of the tach look for a rubber plug. remove it. set the dip switches correctly.sw1on,sw2off,sw3off. they come from yamaha set on,off,on and most riggers cant remember it.
                the alarms are different for 2 and 4 stroke and the digital tach comes preset for 4 stroke.

Comment

Originally posted by Texomadude View Post
                  Found this on forums sounds like my problem.

This was the problem

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a Bluewave CC 190 classic with a 90TLR yamaha 2-cycle. I noticed that by putting the key in the on (not start) position the overheat indicator was blinking the bottom right corner. It has the yamaha digital multi function tach. I proceeded to take it out on the water since I noticed the hour meter was still at zero and started the normal break in of the motor. The light flashed the whole time (no audible alarm) but the motor never got hot and the pee stream was nice and strong. The water temp was around 62 degrees and after about 30-40 minutes I placed the boat in neutral and checked the pee stream, it was barely warm. Continued on for another 30-40 minutes, still flashing.
                  This was the fix was

Re: overheat indicator on 2007 yamaha 90TLR

on the back of the tach look for a rubber plug. remove it. set the dip switches correctly.sw1on,sw2off,sw3off. they come from yamaha set on,off,on and most riggers cant remember it.
                  the alarms are different for 2 and 4 stroke and the digital tach comes preset for 4 stroke.
                  Well there you go. Report if or if not problem solved.

Comment

the 05 90 2 stroke wont sound an alarm when cranking with the lanyard removed.

if the tach dip switchs are still set to 4 stroke you get blinking indicates at key on.
                    a Yamaha is not always a Yamaha.

Comment

Working...
                    X