pulling hours/codes from '00 200 HPDI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pulling hours/codes from '00 200 HPDI

I am about to take delivery of a 2000 200 HPDI. To take delivery, i have specified that I want to inspect compression, get a dump from the ECU and run the motor. In speaking with the seller (reputable Yam mech), he said that he has not been able to pull data from the ECU and will not be able to show me the hours currently on the motor. He went on to explain that this is a problem with these motors. Has me worried - is this a sigh of an ECU waiting to go bad? Does it really have 500 hours, not 200 (as promised) Wondering if anyone can shed some light on this for me - have you heard of it? Does it sound suspicious? Thanks in advance.

matt

Does he have a Yamaha Diagnostic System kit, and a laptop computer? Maybe he doesn't and that's why he can't pull the information from the ECU. Is the motor still connected to the boat? The newer Tachs will display hours as well. If the Tach has two buttons on the face plate (Set and Mode...), then the Tach will display hours. As long as the Tach was installed at the same time as the motor it should give you a fair estimate of the engine hours. But if you're buying a 7 year old motor it's all a gamble anyway. It could run another 3000 hours or blow an hour after you turn the key on.

Mike

Comment

Working...
    X