Yamaha F50 outboard motor impeller replacement problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha F50 outboard motor impeller replacement problem

Removed lower unit to replace impeller Following instructions about making sure it is in Neutral when removing Shift gear must have moved a little bit and went into gear Now I can't find Neutral again I've tried to move it a little bit at a time but No success Frustrated because I have put it back in and out 30 times Is there a spe******t in this area of getting shifter linkage and gear position correct

there should be a neutral detente to keep the lower unit shift linkage in the neutral position, just have to find it. keep turning until you locate it and it should stay there while you stab the unit
    Last edited by 99yam40; 06-05-2016, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Turn the shift rod fully in either direction. Let's say reverse. Use tape or a marker pen so that a particular point can be noted. Note that point on the lower unit casing.

Now turn the shift rod fully in the opposite direction. Forward. Now note the mid point between the reverse point and the forward point. Rotate the shift rod to the mid point and that should be neutral.

As yam says you should feel a detent. See if the propeller will turn freely in both directions.

Make sure thr shift handle is in the neutral position. Reinstall the lower unit.

Comment

Ok I think I understand that I need to find Neutral Is it possible that I am not turning the lower unit spline far enough It seems to move apprx 30 degrees or so I feel slight pressure to the left and right with No pressure in the center No matter where it is located it still is locked into forward gear Do I just need to rotate it harder clockwise until I find Neutral I don't want to break anything

Comment

What are you using to turn the shaft? Take care not to damage the splines.

It is helpful to be turning the drive shaft in the clock wise direction (looking downward) as the shift shaft is rotated.

It is difficult to convey a "feel" via the inner web.

Comment

the shift shaft splines are fairly soft,easily damaged.

turn the shift shaft clockwise until it stops, then turn it another 30* or so.
            the unit is spring loaded for forward gear and you have to push the spring back until the clutch is in N.
            as the cam and plunger wear it becomes easy to bump the unit and it shifts to fwd.

Comment

Ok I think I understand what you are talking about I mostly have been using my fingers to turn it Im gonna try turning it farther with a softener on the shaft I think it will work now If I get it to the Neutral position and put the shifter handle to Neutral position and it won't fall into place what should I turn to make it go the last 1/4 inch

Comment

turn the flywheel a little, it moves the drive shaft

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  turn the flywheel a little, it moves the drive shaft
                  I suspect the lower unit is off of the motor.

Turning the drive shaft is not the hard part. Without a proper tool turning the shift rod is the hard part.

Comment

Got it You guys are awesome Thanks for the help It went right in If this helps anyone else I wrapped copper wire around the teeth on the gear to keep from messing up the threads It worked really good because it bites in to the copper Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Pursuitfishing View Post
                      Got it You guys are awesome Thanks for the help It went right in If this helps anyone else I wrapped copper wire around the teeth on the gear to keep from messing up the threads It worked really good because it bites in to the copper Thanks again
                      Clever tip. Thanks for sharing. It might help another motor owner.

Glad you got the problem fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                        I suspect the lower unit is off of the motor.

Turning the drive shaft is not the hard part. Without a proper tool turning the shift rod is the hard part.
                        I was trying to tell him how to move the drive shaft a little if splines were not matched up while lower unit was just 1/4"to 1/2" from going all the way up

Comment

Oh. I did not realize that.

Comment

Working...
                          X