2000 F40 (carbed) Fuel Pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 F40 (carbed) Fuel Pump?

Having some problems with my 2000 F40TLRY carbed 4 stroke. Just wondering if a new fuel pump may be worth a try ,since it's original,and 16 years old. Wondering if they should be rebuilt or changed out periodically.?

Motor has been great for years,since bought new, until recently. Last year and this, am having an issue that if motor is sitting off for a while maybe 20 minutes or more,say if I'm on a fishing spot, it's a bit hard to start. I always get it started, but then it acts a bit like a cold engine on that first throttle up. May stumble just a bit ,or slow to come up to full power and full RPM at Wide open throttle. Then after that it's fine. Instant start, Full power with no hesitation. Idle smooth as silk. Just that first throttle up after sitting. Had not done this previously. Always fired up instantly, throttle up no issue.

So far have done simple things, plugs, fuel filter,new primer hose assembly,new thermostat, Several doses of Ring Free. Did not seem to really help much. But the problem seems to come and go.

So just wondering if maybe it's time for a new fuel pump? Do they need periodic rebuild or replacement? Any probability this may help? or worth it just because it's 16 years old?
    Last edited by Hollowman; 06-04-2016, 12:19 AM.

I would think a replacement of that old of a fuel pump would be a good idea.
    if it solves your problem is something I am not sure of though.
    does this pump have water cooling?
    Seems like I read where some of the pumps had a recall years ago

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      I would think a replacement of that old of a fuel pump would be a good idea.
      if it solves your problem is something I am not sure of though.
      does this pump have water cooling?
      Seems like I read where some of the pumps had a recall years ago
      Thanks, I think I would agree it probably would not hurt. Not sure if water cooled. I have not had mine off yet. But the pics I have seen of this one show some sort of cylindrical extension on back, with an O-ring.

Here is a pic of the pump in mine,from ebay,,,does this tell us anything?
      Yamaha 25 30 40 50 60 Fuel Pump 62Y 24410 04 00 62Y 24410 02 00 Outboard | eBay

Comment

Working...
      X