Average life of a 150 four stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Average life of a 150 four stroke

I have a 2006 four stroke 150 with 466 hours. It is running perfectly and I'm wondering what the average life expectancy is of this engine if it is well maintained.

"Just like a Women"

All depends on how much LOVE you give Her..and praying don't hurt nothing !!

Comment

They all go untill they blow up! whether that's 467 hours, or 4,670 or any other amount is anyone's guess, there is no magic amount of hours where a certain model just self destructs, look after it, use it, enjoy it.

Comment

Besides maintenance, how you run it overall I would think would make a difference..

IE, if you usually cruise at say 4,000 RPM's, vs 6,000 RPM's. Obviously, your a bit easier on the engine at 4K (and a longer life as well)..
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

In addition to the regular maintenance everyone knows about, I think it's important to let the engine warm up before running it at higher RPM, and to run it a progressively higher RPM before going WOT.

I also like to let the engine continue to pee at idle to cool itself off before shutting it off. I see people go from WOT to a complete shut off, and that can't be as good as getting the engine gradually cooler by slowing down the RPM and then letting it pee for a bit at idle before shutting it down.

Comment

Originally posted by bajakeith View Post
            All depends on how much LOVE you give Her..and praying don't hurt nothing !!
            Well, it gets plenty of love, regular oil changes, and all trips are run at about 4000 rpm. Generally the last mile of the day is run wide open to "blow it out". Most trips are 12 to 25 miles one way so a fishing trip may be 2.5 hours at cruise and another hour at minimal speeds and total 15 or 20 trips per year. I'm guessing it will outlast me at that rate.

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
              Besides maintenance, how you run it overall I would think would make a difference..

IE, if you usually cruise at say 4,000 RPM's, vs 6,000 RPM's. Obviously, your a bit easier on the engine at 4K (and a longer life as well)..
              Thank you I have essentially the same set up with my 2006 Pathfinder CC 22'

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gillespie View Post
                Thank you I have essentially the same set up with my 2006 Pathfinder CC 22'
                Welcome..

WOT on my 20'4" Angler CC is 45MPH @ 5900RPM's.

It is somewhat squirrelly at that speed, even trimmed out.

3,500-4000 is a comfy ride and is in the "sweet zone" for mileage too...
                Scott

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdqmXcWs64k

almost 9k hours and more on a Yamaha outboard without major repairs isnīt unprecedented but is remarkable anyway!

What impressed me/ let me curious was how they get the value of 7000 hours on outboard is equivalent to 225000miles/362000km's on automobile in urban use
                  Last edited by almetelo; 06-05-2016, 04:40 PM.

Comment

w0w, very impressive....
                    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by almetelo View Post
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdqmXcWs64k

almost 9k hours and more on a Yamaha outboard without major repairs isnīt unprecedented but is remarkable anyway!

What impressed me/ let me curious was how they get the value of 7000 hours on outboard is equivalent to 225000miles/362000km's on automobile in urban use
                      Doesn't hurt that they're using it daily, performing scheduled maintenance, and probably using high-quality gas. Compare that to the average weekend warrior's use.

Comment

Working...
                      X