new member trim sender problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new member trim sender problem

I have been searching the net to try find an answer the the problem i am having with my yamaha f150. I found this site and hope someone here can help. The trim sender on my motor quit working. I hoped it was just the little clamp that was broken but that was not the case. I purchased a new sending unit a am trying to change out the old one. The problem i found was the pink wire on the sender side of the plastic connector splits into two. One goes to the sendind unit and the other goes into the wiring harness to the boat. Do i have to splice this wire into the pink wire on the new switch or terminate it. Does anyone know where this wire goes. Unfortunately we do not have a local dealer that works on that many outboards that can help.

Did you try moving the arm (with the ignition on-NOT running) and watching the gauge?

My F150 DID have that plastic "clamp" develop a hairline crack(looked fine but spun on the shaft). The new, updated, metal one solved the problem.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

sounds like a cobbled rigging job.
      originally the two connectors simply plugged together.

but pink is send and black is ground.

what trim gauge is installed in the boat?

DO NOT confuse the two single pink wires with white connectors.
      that is NOT where the trim send goes.

without a model number we have no idea if your engine had commandlink wireing or not.

it is why model numbers are a good thing.

Comment

[QUOTE=Sea Hawk;119868]I have been searching the net to try find an answer the the problem i am having with my yamaha f150. I found this site and hope someone here can help. The trim sender on my motor quit working. I hoped it was just the little clamp that was broken but that was not the case. I purchased a new sending unit a am trying to change out the old one. The problem i found was the pink wire on the sender side of the plastic connector splits into two. One goes to the sendind unit and the other goes into the wiring harness to the boat. Do i have to splice this wire into the pink wire on the new switch or terminate it. Does anyone know where this wire goes. Unfortunately we do not have a l

This communication stuff is hard!

Are you saying that on the new trim sensor that the pink wire does not go directly to a two pin connector? What part number sender did you buy?

As rodnut notes, the new sender should not split into anything. It should simply plug and play with the engine side mating connector.

See diagram below which is for a pre 2005 F150. But the sender side is the same. Engine side is a bit different.

Comment

Sorry about not enough info. Thanks for the replies. My motor is a F150 TXR ser number 63px1049222. About two years ago my plastic clamp broke so i replaced it with the metal version. That fixed everything until recently. The analog trim guage in my north river seahawk would hardly move. It was pinned in the up position and if i manually moved the trim sender through it's range of motion the needle on the guage would barley move. If i tapped on the sending unit the needle bounced all over. I have my motor plugged into the nema network in my boat so i plugged the two pink wires under the cowling together and saw the same intermitent trim readings on my lowrance hds10. I went to the local dealer and purchased part 67h-83672-01. When i went to change out the sender i found that the pink wire on the old sender has a second pink wire spliced into it. This wire is attached on the trim sender side of the connector and goes into the wiring bundle going toward the transom. It appears to be something added to the system. I tried plugging the new switch into the engine harness and when i move the sender arm manually the output on my sounder works perfectly. The analog guage in the dash does not move Could this spliced pink wire have been installed for thr analog trim guage. If so can i just terminate it and ignore the guage in the dash. Thanks again for all your replies.

Comment

My guess is that North River Boats spliced into the sender wiring to feed the trim signal to a non-Yamaha analog gauge. Cheap boat builder trick. That is what you will need to do to make the analog gauge work.

HOWEVER - If the two single pink wires are connected together to provide sender data to the engine's ECU, so that it can be displayed on an NMEA 2000 device, then the data is skewed. One sender cannot support two devices at the same time.

Just install the new sender and don't modify the wiring. Remove the analog trim gauge and install something more meaningful.

You might need to recalibrate the trim cam as having both gauges connected to the previous sender might have thrown the NMEA 2000 reading off a bit. The NMEA 2000 reading should be more accurate now with the sender sending data to it only.

Comment

I will do exactly that. How do i i calibrate the trim cam if i need to.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Hawk View Post
                I will do exactly that. How do i i calibrate the trim cam if i need to.
                Put the motor in the full down position. Adjust the trim cam until the trim indication on the NEMA 2000 device reads 0%, starting at some point above 0%. Tighten the screw to hold it in place. Trim up a bit and then back down fully. Hopefully it will now indicate 0% trim. Might need to fiddle with it a time or two.

I like to find the most efficient engine trim angle for my typical cruise speed. Say 60% at 4000 RPM give me the most miles per gallon. I stop the boat. Go to 0% trim for best time to plane. As the boat is coming up on plane I am reducing the engine power to achieve 4000 RPM while at the same time trimming up to the 60% setting.

Now you will need to find your own best engine trim angle for your boat and the speed that you like to operate at. One size does not fit all.

Comment

I will give it a try and thanks for all the help.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                    My guess is that North River Boats spliced into the sender wiring to feed the trim signal to a non-Yamaha analog gauge. Cheap boat builder trick. That is what you will need to do to make the analog gauge work.

HOWEVER - If the two single pink wires are connected together to provide sender data to the engine's ECU, so that it can be displayed on an NMEA 2000 device, then the data is skewed. One sender cannot support two devices at the same time.

Just install the new sender and don't modify the wiring. Remove the analog trim gauge and install something more meaningful.

You might need to recalibrate the trim cam as having both gauges connected to the previous sender might have thrown the NMEA 2000 reading off a bit. The NMEA 2000 reading should be more accurate now with the sender sending data to it only.
                    I did exactly as you said and everything works perfectly. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                    X