oil overflow/ lot of smoke 2000 hpdi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil overflow/ lot of smoke 2000 hpdi

I have a 2000 hpdi 200 hp I have oil coming out of the cap of the tank on the motor. Why? I also have lots of oil smoke out of the exhaust. Are these problem connected?

I took the sensor out of the oil tank and it moves freely and when put on the down position low oil alarm sounds.
    I have also tool the oil pump off and don't see anything wrong with it.(the one on the motor.)
    please help
    Adam

Not sure if its the same or similar to yours, but i had a similar issue with my engine. (2000 130HP 2 stroke)

Ended up being the oil con*****er unit (black box with a switch on it)

it would intermittently overfill the bottle to the point of popping out the sensor/float switch and the smoke was from the overflow vent (that overflows back into the engine)

When i saw "intermittent" it would overflow and pop out the sensor/float twice a day.. but the smoking was pretty much constant.

good luck with it

Comment

Should be fixed

Thanks for the info
      As of now it looks like my problem was a stuck oil float switch. I have twin engines so I took the oil tanks off; cleaned them and swapped the float switches. I also cleaned all the oil from inside the air intake. After I did this and took it for a good run and cleared out all the oil it stopped smoking.
      I hope this fixed it. I'll be keeping a close eye on it.

Adam

Comment

did you retrieve AND replace the seal at the tank bottome?
        that is what keeps debris out of the oil pump.
        I have seen the seal get shoved down the oil tube and block off oil to the pump.
        will run about 1 mile before it hand grenades.

Comment

Thanks dor the reply

Thanks for the reply rodbolt17
          I did make shore the seal did not get shoved into the oil tube. I didn't change the seal. It looked clean so I put it back in and my dealer was closed that day I was able to take it apart.
          Is it that important to change?
          Should I change my plugs too?
          Should I check anything else?
          Thanks

Comment

do some forum searching.
            the function of the engine oil tank switch's has been beat to death.
            SW1 (top) commands pump off.

SW2 (middle switch) commands pump on.

SW3 (bottom position) 2nd pump on command,audible and visual and RPM reduction.

Comment

The switches in the switcher assembly close to tell the ECU what needs to be done. When in the closed position the applicable wire to the ECU is grounded.

Switch SW1 (top switch) closes when the float rises to the top of the switcher assembly. The ECU sensing the ground stops the pump from running.

If the switch does not close, or if the wiring from the switcher assembly has failed open, then when the float gets to the top of the switcher assembly the ECU will not get the ground that it needs. The pump will keep running. The main engine mounted oil tank will over flow.

Comment

Float switch

As of now it looks like the float switch is working. I think it got stuck somehow when the engine was tilted in the up position. After taking it apart, cleaning it and making shore the switch moved freely everything has need working. I will be taking the boat out for a 1-2 hour run and that should tell me if everything is good or not.
                Thanks

Comment

good luck with it...
                  if it keeps overflowing then i'd look at the con*****er

(i had to replace the float/switch and con*****er to get rid of my issue)

Comment

Now that I have taken the boat for a good long run with the oil float switch on the other engine. my oil indicator on my gauge is showing only two bars with the right one blinking. The main oil tank is at proper level and not adding any oil to it. At some points all three bars will show on the gauge then go back to 2 bars and right one blinking. It will stay blinking for a long time and all three bars for a short time.
                    I'm going order a new float switch today.
                    Am I missing something or does it all point to the float switch?

Comment

I'm not 100% sure I'm understanding what you're saying... But are you saying your having issues with the same engine even after changing the floats?

If so then I think your problem isn't the float... maybe...

Couple of other things I would check
                      1 have you changed the little filter in the main oil tank (one outside of the engine)
                      2 from memory, I think right flashing light activated from the float in the main oil tank (the one outside of the engine).. So maybe look at that

Again, in no expert like others are here... And I'm working on a different engine.. But I found the system is simple when you get your head around it... It just plays with your mind when you have two intermittent problems happening at the same time

Comment

Sorry for the confusion. No. When I switched the oil switch float to the other motor that's when the oil indicator on the gauge for that motor started blinking.
                        But that's all that happened. The rest of the problems did not follow (Smoking,oil tank overflowing).
                        Both motors don't smoke now.

Comment

Working...
                        X