No announcement yet.

VST problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Scott...I will certainly get some! Where do you get it? Does west marine carry it?

Comment

Originally posted by Mako1988 View Post
      Well I just put 50 gals of 89proof ethonal in it and should burn that in a week. I've talked to a couple people who never have had problems and don't even add anything.
      But I think they will in the future!
      You need to be drinking the 89 proof ethanol stuff and burning the 20 proof(10% ethanol) fuel in the motor

Comment

Originally posted by Mako1988 View Post
        Thanks Scott...I will certainly get some! Where do you get it? Does west marine carry it?
        I doubt West Marine has it but I've seen it in some marina's and some motorcycle shops.

I buy a case of it at a time, the 32 oz bottles, direct from K100 (saves the middle man) but it'll last me a couple of years:

K100-MG 32 oz. – 4 Pack | Kinetic Fuel Treatment It's not cheap but you can buy smaller bottles and see how you like it.

As for RingFree, any Yamaha marina should carry it and you can get it on-line as well.

IE, I just cleaned a Ryobi weed-eater carburetor (that someone pitched the entire unit) and I picked it up this AM.
        Two issues, crap in a very fine very small filter AND several larges pieces of varnish on the inside of a diaphragm.
        Runs great now, cleaned it all up, just need to test for several days before it goes on Craigslist... And yes, RF went in it!
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

1st Forget Worst Marine !!

I Don't get here very often as I work 8 days a week on these critters ! The Big E fuel is a bad Nightmare here in ca. So far Star Tron or what I call the Blue stuff seems the best...Main thing is to keep it fresh E fuel or U will really have nasty issues... Talked with LUCAS OIL"S and they said theres was the best..But, my guy that sales all the chems swears "Hand,s Down" Star tron is the winner !! BTW Randy (Worst Marine owner) Has Refferd me to two of his neighbors....

Comment

it is NOT E fuels.

it is called the US government marine technician stimulous program.

lord knows I get plenty of that stimulous package.

we saw a lot of that gray powdery stuff when we first shifted to E fuels.
            the additive package from the E fuels to non E fuel causes it.

it is some type of chemical reaction between the additive (oxygenate) in the two fuel types.
            they don't like to mix and play well together.

I sometimes wonder how many BILLIONS of dollars this stupid E fuels experiment has cost the US taxpayer in not only mechanical repairs to equipment but also in higher food cost and more fertilizer in our waterways.

Comment

Mtbe

yep, when ca swiched to E they did not tell us about not having the two types of mixing together.. But, Now I am seaing "Phase Seperation" on just about anything that sits..My famous dog struts "sthil" chain saw sunglasses and the STihl dealer that I get her shades from now says that anything coming the shop has E problems besides what else..Its So bad that they wont sell it at small airports.. (Ya Think)

Comment

Its also a Small Engine Technician stimulus program as well.

Most machines are not worth fixing paying shop charges to clean carbs, replace fuel lines that harden up, etc. I'll snag those up.

Generators, use em once, let them sit for 8 months, NO start... Clean the main jet....
                For my own generator, I make sure the carb is dry, loosen or pull the bowl and blow with air. A spritz of liquid wrench in the bowl, she's ready for next season..

Unfortunately, I tell my dad to dump the left over fuel back in the can and run the engine dry but he doesn't.. So every couple of months, I get to clean his AGAIN and AGAIN....

The boat hasn't seen ethonol since 2008, (after I found cloudy(water) in the VST-just draining it). Its spotless clear now....
                Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-29-2016, 11:51 AM.
                Scott

Comment

any tank or carb that is open to atmosphere(vented) will have the fuel evaporate the fuel in it and leave residue or absorb water out of the air into the fuel if you are in a humid environment.

Running the motor often keeps the carbs filled with fresh fuel and things stay running well.
                  let them sit for long periods of time and things go south .

I have a hard time getting people to understand that running a multi carbed motor until it dies is not good enough for setting it up for long periods of time.
                  not all of the carbs run out of fuel at the same time and some cylinders are running lean or with out lubrication oil if pre mixed if that carb runs low on fuel while the other cylinders keep on running.

And there is a small amount of fuel/oil mix ( for some) that is left in the bowls that evaporates more quickly than a full bowl would and leaves residue that builds up over time or lift up off the bottom and plugs up jets/passages when filled back up and run.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                    any tank or carb that is open to atmosphere(vented) will have the fuel evaporate the fuel in it and leave residue or absorb water out of the air into the fuel if you are in a humid environment.

Running the motor often keeps the carbs filled with fresh fuel and things stay running well.

I have a hard time getting people to understand that running a multi carbed motor until it dies is not good enough for setting it up for long periods of time.

not all of the carbs run out of fuel at the same time and some cylinders are running lean or with out lubrication oil if pre mixed if that carb runs low on fuel while the other cylinders keep on running.

And there is a small amount of fuel/oil mix ( for some) that is left in the bowls that evaporates more quickly than a full bowl would and leaves residue that builds up over time or lift up off the bottom and plugs up jets/passages when filled back up and run.
                    Amen brother 99.

Worse still is some folks try and run their EFI motors until they die from fuel starvation. And then blame Yam for those expensive electric fuel pumps failing at such a young age.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

I see folks down here run a generator (test) once a month and turn it off, no stabilizer. Might get by 2-3 times then its carb cleaning time (as you noted, all the gas doesn't get burned in the bowl). After I get them running, the bowl is blown dry, spritzed with some wd40, liquid wrench, etc, some Seafoam in the top end, set on compression stroke, TDC (keep moisture from the cylinder wall, valve springs "at rest".

Honda's are about that best, most have a bowl drain screw and even with that out, I can still blow some excess fuel out AFTER that drains....

The owner is instructed, DO NOT add fuel, test, nothing, UNLESS you need it.
                      Scott

Comment

Working...
                      X