Pulling injectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulling injectors

2001 200 hpdi's. Im only getting 45-4600 rpms. Running great up to that. Never had the injectors serviced. Mechanic tells me it would probably take him "hours" just to pull them since hpdi's tend to freeze. Is this true and secondly how hard would it be to pull them myself. Of would you just leave it alone? Thanks

I can't answer your question 100% as I've never worked on your engine. But if they're at least similar to mine, I can't imagine how they would seize up - or at least mine always come out easy.

Fuel pressure good? Plugs and wires condition? Prop condition?

Is the bottom dirty? You'd be surprised what even a thin slime layer can do.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

They may get stuck in which case you simply pry them out.

Check to make sure all of the gaskets come out. Some may get stuck to the head. Two per injector.

If they don't get stuck it should not take more than 30 minutes to pull all 6 injectors. Be careful not to bend those $600 fuel pipes as you don't want to damage one.

If there is a problem with the motor you need to find the fault and fix it. It won't fix itself. It may get worse and cause some serious damage.

Do you have a fuel flow meter installed? What is the rate of fuel flow at WOT? That may tell you something.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
        They may get stuck in which case you simply pry them out.

Check to make sure all of the gaskets come out. Some may get stuck to the head. Two per injector.

If they don't get stuck it should not take more than 30 minutes to pull all 6 injectors. Be careful not to bend those $600 fuel pipes as you don't want to damage one.

If there is a problem with the motor you need to find the fault and fix it. It won't fix itself. It may get worse and cause some serious damage.

Do you have a fuel flow meter installed? What is the rate of fuel flow at WOT? That may tell you something.
        That's funny he said hours just to pull each engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia270 View Post
          That's funny he said hours just to pull each engine.
          Yeah, he needs the time to check his bank statements, make overseas holiday bookings, order more liquor and drink it between wrenching.

Comment

I do most of the work myself that I can. Is this something that you would recommend and how clear are the manuals showing you how to do it

Comment

Cleaning the injectors could be a waste of time, you need to find out what's actually wrong, rather than just do "stuff", did the motor ever run full RPM?

Comment

I've had the boat since new and I would get 5300. I think top is supposed to be 5600. The last 2 years I've had both high pressure pumps serviced along with all the other routine maintenance . Just figured after 14 seasons it was time to have them serviced.

Comment

yes those injectors can and will seize in the bore.
                  it is why I grease the body when reinstalling.
                  I have had a few that required cyl head removal and a special home made tool and a press to remove them.
                  good luck with it.

Comment

Working...
                  X