Prime Starter Assy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prime Starter Assy

Hi - I have a broken Prime Starter Assy on my 15hp (F15CMH/S). The part # listed for my motor is 6AH-14380-00-00 or 01-00. I have available a part # 6AH-14380-10-00, which is for the same motor, but the electric start version.

Any one know if this will work and/or what the impact will be? I struggle to see why what is effectively the automatic choke should be different between manual and electric start?????

I also struggle to see why Yamaha got rid of the nice simple, cheap and foolproof manual choke which worked very well on my fine Enduro 2s for years - but that's a question for another day.

Hope you can help

SUR
    Last edited by SamURang; 05-24-2016, 11:05 PM.

I don't have a clue as to why the manual start model uses a different part number prime start than does the electric start model. Only guess that I can hazard is that an electric start model will be turning more RPM's when the starter motor turns it than the manual start model will be turning when it is hand pulled. Maybe the pull start model needs more fuel to flow through its PS given that it will have less time to pull fuel through the carburetor via its PS.

If you have the electric start PS (-10-00), and you can not return the incorrect part, why not try it? It might very well work. Otherwise, return the wrong part and get what you need. I have seen some PS devices that can be adjusted somewhat to move the pin further into the body of the PS so that it will provide mroe additional fuel for a longer period of time. Look at yours and see.

Regarding the choke, the trend in all things mechanical is for more convenience, less operator involvement and improved fuel efficiency. Lots of folks don't understand how to use a choke. They have never used one.

Comment

Tks

Thanks for the reply. The electric start PS I can get is second hand. It's a quarter of the price and more importantly I can get it in two days rather than two weeks for the correct unit. But of course, if I buy it, I buy it.

Your reasoning sounds right. There is no adjustment on the pin/needle, but swapping the needle and its spring would be super easy (it's the plastic head with the wax in that's broken) and that's really the only difference there can be.

So, taking a deep breath, I'll go ahead and buy the SH one.

Tks again.

Comment

can you explain what you found wrong with the one on your motor?

Just trying to make sure that it is/has a problem

Comment

Physically broken.

It's physically broken (by me in a fit of stupidity). The three plastic legs on the top part, which the ss tube holding the needle locates onto, are sheered off. I've effected a temporary repair, but would like a more robust fix. However, would also prefer not to pay $300 dollars for replacement.

Comment

That sucks big time,
            just wanted to make sure you were not chasing the wrong rabbit

Comment

Working...
            X