Steering Collar Studs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Collar Studs

I have an 80 horsepower C80TLRV 1997 outboard motor. This afternoon the nuts on the two studs that screw into the steering collar on the engine finally rusted away, leaving me without steering. I was hoping I could just buy a couple of nuts and re-attach the steering linkage, but the studs are too badly rusted. I was hoping I could re-thread the studs but they are too far back to get a die on. I have squirted some Blaster on the studs and tried to rotate them but they are pretty rusted in place. Any ideas or suggestions on how to get them out?Screen Shot 2016-05-23 at 12.43.10 PM.jpg

Originally posted by fishfun83 View Post
    I have an 80 horsepower C80TLRV 1997 outboard motor. This afternoon the nuts on the two studs that screw into the steering collar on the engine finally rusted away, leaving me without steering. I was hoping I could just buy a couple of nuts and re-attach the steering linkage, but the studs are too badly rusted. I was hoping I could re-thread the studs but they are too far back to get a die on. I have squirted some Blaster on the studs and tried to rotate them but they are pretty rusted in place. Any ideas or suggestions on how to get them out?[ATTACH]2396[/ATTACH]
    If you can get a vise grip in there and add a fair amount of heat, (heat gun), smack the end of the studs and try cracking them loose. It may very well be too tight to do this...

If you have access to a MIG welder, disconnect all important electric's (especially ECU) and weld a nut over the end of each stud. Basically, the nut will slide OVER the stud, then weld. Now, you have a solid 6 point nut/bolt giving you much more leverage wit a socket, breaker bar, etc.

**I've never used this stud extractor (someone can weigh in on how well it works) but might be worth the investment. It would certainly be the easiest (plus some heat):
    http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648...s=stud+remover
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-23-2016, 05:42 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
      If you can get a vise grip in there and add a fair amount of heat, (heat gun), smack the end of the studs and try cracking them loose. It may very well be too tight to do this...

If you have access to a MIG welder, disconnect all important electric's (especially ECU) and weld a nut over the end of each stud. Basically, the nut will slide OVER the stud, then weld. Now, you have a solid 6 point nut/bolt giving you much more leverage wit a socket, breaker bar, etc.

**I've never used this stud extractor (someone can weigh in on how well it works) but might be worth the investment. It would certainly be the easiest (plus some heat):
      http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648...s=stud+remover
      Sounds like good advice with the vice grips/welded nuts....you gotta wonder why these studs were not stainless steel like most fasteners on Yamaha outboards????

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I can get the needle nose vice grips on the studs but they are really too flexible and can't get a good grip. I will try heat and see how that works tomorrow. Thanks,

Comment

Probably to save a couple of bucks and for later work for stealerships...

Certianly doesn't make sense

And please post back what works for you / final fix..
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

There is a product called Freeze-Off or something like it where you spray a stuck fastener with freon or similar, causing fastener to shrink slightly....maybe use that alternating with the heat/torch....they gotta come out!...

Comment

Working...
            X