Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bypassing Lanyard Kill Switch

'98 S115WTLR

Started motor and lanyard alarm is ringing off. When I pull the lanyard cord and disengage the motor remains running. Must be a bad lanyard mechanism. You've got a black and whtite wire coming out of lanyard. How do I bypass the lanyard to kill the alarm?
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Update

Used a jumper wire to bypass, still getting alarm. When I turn the key to the ON position it alarms.
    Jason

Comment

Ive never had a low oil or high temp alarm so not sure what that sounds like. This horn/alarm is coming from behind the ignition switch, circular.
      Jason

Comment

Yamaha motors only have the one alarm buzzer.
        Some of the Yamaha motors sound the alarm when a low voltage is detected, some with a water in fuel, most with low oil level & overtemp., some when the kill switch is set and the key is turned to start.

But sounds like your kill switch does not function properly as the motor starts and runs with kill switch pulled and/or shorted
        along with an alarm is sounding.
        Do the gauges show any indication of what the alarm is?

put motor in gear to eliminate water in fuel as it only sounds while in neutral.
        Last edited by 99yam40; 05-23-2016, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          put motor in gear to eliminate water in full as it only sounds while in neutral.
          What does that mean?? Doesn't make sense (at least to me)
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
            What does that mean?? Doesn't make sense (at least to me)
            'Water in fuel' as mentioned in post above

Comment

Turns out it was alarming low oil despite the quart in the reserve tank. Filled it up and the alarm turned off. However, because of this episode, i now know the kill cord doesn't function. The engine wont start when its pulled, but when the engine IS running and I pull cord it does not kill. Mmmm. Puzzling
              Jason

Comment

It obviously should kill the engine when pulled. When cranking with the clip out, the alarm should sound.

I don't use mine (lanyard) BUT, I'd want to make sure the alarm is FULLY working...
                Scott

Comment

Originally posted by JohnOrrett View Post
                  'Water in fuel' as mentioned in post above
                  Thanks.

I don't think the sensors for alerting water in the FUEL, weren't used back then. My 06 doesn't have it but the newer F150's do in the under cowl fuel filter..
                  Scott

Comment

contacts in switch are possibly sticking

Comment

As I said some motors do, I did not mean definitely that his would.
                      Too hard to keep up with what every motor does.
                      at least he looked at his gauges to see what was happening(I guess)

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                        As I said some motors do, I did not mean definitely that his would.
                        Too hard to keep up with what every motor does.
                        at least he looked at his gauges to see what was happening(I guess)
                        Damn straight.

Comment

Working...
                        X