Is More Horsepower Worth The Weight??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is More Horsepower Worth The Weight??

Ok boys, let's start the debate. I currently have a '98 S115TLRW. It's dry weight is approx 365lbs. I can safely increase my HP to a 150. Depending on what model of 150HP, round about weight is 100lbs more than than the 115HP.

Casting aside prop size, engine mounting height, added weight to boat, etc. Let's just say my top end speed with my current engine is 42mph. If I went up in HP by 35, from the 115HP to 150HP, what are we talking about as a increase in top end speed? We talking a few mph's, we talking 8-10mph's, etc?

Again, cast aside the finer details of the hull, assuming the hull setup will remain exactly the same. Focus on the increase in HP.
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

More HP'S

Or you can buy a ETEC 150 !!
    Last edited by bajakeith; 05-23-2016, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
      Ok boys, let's start the debate. I currently have a '98 S115TLRW. It's dry weight is approx 365lbs. I can safely increase my HP to a 150. Depending on what model of 150HP, round about weight is 100lbs more than than the 115HP.

Casting aside prop size, engine mounting height, added weight to boat, etc. Let's just say my top end speed with my current engine is 42mph. If I went up in HP by 35, from the 115HP to 150HP, what are we talking about as a increase in top end speed? We talking a few mph's, we talking 8-10mph's, etc?

Again, cast aside the finer details of the hull, assuming the hull setup will remain exactly the same. Focus on the increase in HP.
      I'll go a few miles per hour, not 10 mph. Get Bajakeith'sr point 150 evinrude no different in weight than 115, then I will change my answer to closer to half way or more. They perform really well. But what are the exact HP's anyway? Is it 35 Hp difference?
      If you can buy a 150 you will have a bigger engine, better pull, better holeshot much more grunt!
      The question is hypothetical, you will of course experiment more with the larger engine because you will have more scope for less error
      Last edited by zenoahphobic; 05-23-2016, 02:52 AM.

Comment

I would be looking on Yamaha Performance Bulletins to see what speed they got with a 150 along with what prop they used on a rig like yours

http://yamahaoutboards.com/owner-res...ance-bulletins
        Last edited by 99yam40; 05-23-2016, 09:26 AM.

Comment

More power to me means better holeshot with 5-6 grown people on board and running lower rpms at cruise. Based on performance charts, 50-100 more hp on my boat would allow for that with very little decrease in fuel mileage.

Comment

But might be hard to make the jump from 300hp to 350hp in 4 strokes when motor weighs over 200 lbs more...And add reliability concerns as well. Seems like there are an awful many new 300s on the water in the last couple years, esp doubles and triples.

Comment

Working...
            X