Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

09 LF225 Outboard, 180 hrs, water in oil.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 09 LF225 Outboard, 180 hrs, water in oil.

Yesterday I went for a boat ride and noticed that my RPMs were surging intermittently... Initially I thought it was a fuel issue. Today I checked the oil before heading out on the water and noticed that the oil was milky. Obviously it's water in the oil. After speaking with a Yamaha tech, I pulled the plugs. 5 of the plugs were perfect, but one had water in the gap. The plug isn't rusted but it's definately water, not fuel. The issue is fresh. It is the lowest port cylinder, which is also the lowest on the block. There was not an abundance of water, and the oil level was typical. I have drained the oil and refilled. I am taking the boat to the shop tomorrow and am just curious as to what some possible causes are. My initial thought is a failed head gasket.

I ruled out condensation from the winter since I have identified a wet cylinder.

The engine has not been overheated and had been serviced annually. I'm a little discouraged by this given the amount of hours... I have never had an issue with the engine until now. Any thoughts...

Quick thought, lower engine seal or:
    Does the engine sit low in water, possible that the level is getting to the exhaust outlet level, ingesting water that way.

Comment

or the cyl head corroded or the head failed to drain and cracked during a cold snap.

Comment

Thanks for the replies...Dropped it off this morning. South Mississippi doesn't get cold enough to think ice is responsible for the crack... But it is thought. Hope to know something soon. I'm hoping for the best and praying that it's anything other than the powerhead...

Comment

Working...
        X