X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha Gateway/Command Link Plus

I have the following Yamaha gateway (installed by previous owner):
    part no. 6Y98A2D00000

I have the command link plus gauge and Yamaha F300's. The gateway is connected to the N2K network on one end and the Yamaha bus on the other. I see two lights on the gateway, one lights up solid green, the other doesn't light up at all.

Trying to get the engine data to display on the Furuno MFD.

Do I have the right part? Any way to troubleshoot? Do these gateways "go bad"?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as it seems everything is connected as it should be, but still no data flowing.

The F300 has two data buses. One considered Command Link (CL) and the other considered Command Link Plus (CL+).

The rectangular colour multi-function display is connected to the CL+ bus. Is the Gateway that you have connected to the same bus as the CL+ display?

The green light denotes that power from the NMEA 2000 network is on. Which is good. When the key switch is turned on the CL+ display should come on and you should also be seeing engine data on your MFD.

The yellow light denotes a problem. Lack of a yellow light should be a good thing.

It is possible that the Gateway has failed. How old is it? Was it not working when you bought the boat?

You can also use the CL data bus to provide data to your NMEA 2000 network in which case a Gateway does not have to be used.

Comment

I will check again next time I'm on the boat, but pretty sure it's connected to the same bus as the CL+ gauge. Is has not ever worked since I bought the boat. I saw the gateway and started trying to see the engine data on the Garmin MFD that the boat came with but it never worked. Since then I have swapped to Furuno MFD still doesn't work.

The bus has a white "dummy" plug in the 1 empty device port, not sure if that matters or not.

Read somewhere online that the yellow light would blink to show data flow?

Thanks for the information. I may just buy a new gateway and see if that fixes the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by bluefin2na View Post
        I have the following Yamaha gateway (installed by previous owner):
        part no. 6Y98A2D00000

Do I have the right part? Any way to troubleshoot? Do these gateways "go bad"?
        In addition and repeating what Boscoe said.

Answers to your three questions: yes, yes and yes.

From the installation manual for part # 6Y9-8A2D0-20-00:

7. Turn “ON” the NMEA 2000® network power supply. The GREEN LED on the Gateway will be “ON” indicating the Gateway is receiving power from the NMEA 2000® network.
        8. Turn “ON” the motor ignition switch(es).
        GATEWAY TROUBLESHOOTING YELLOW LED:
        The CL/CLP Gateway also incorporates a YELLOW diagnostic LED. This LED can be used for trouble¬shooting the system.
        • LED Steady ON - the CL Plus Gateway is receiv¬ing power from the CL/CLP network but no data exchange from both the CL/CLP network and the NMEA 2000® network.
        • LED Flashing ON/OFF (repeating) – CL/CLP network and NMEA 2000® networks OK and data transmission OK.
        • LED Flashing ON/OFF (2 flashes followed by a pause) – no data transmission on the NMEA 2000® network, CL/CLP network data transmis¬sion OK.
        • LED Flashing ON/OFF (three flashes followed by a pause) – no data transmission on the CL/CLP network, NMEA 2000® network OK.

TIP:
        • The Gateway allows communication of engine data from the CL or CLP system to a NMEA 2000®
        network but blocks data flow, except GPS speed, clock and latitude/longitude data, from the NMEA
        2000® network to the CL or CLP system.
        • The Gateway must receive B+ power from both the NMEA 2000® and the CL/CLP network connections.

MAINTENANCE:
        Periodically, check all hardware and electrical connections for tightness and corrosion. Re-tighten, clean,
        and reconnect as required.

So, check all of the connections. Check that your MFD is set to display the desired data from the Yamaha network. This is my best guess as to what your problem is.

CL PLUS GATEWAY DATA OUTPUT:
        The following motor and CL/CLP Multi-sensor data will be available through the Gateway for display by NMEA 2000® devices:
        • Engine rpm
        • Engine trim position
        • Engine oil pressure
        • Engine water temperature
        • Engine water pressure
        • Total engine hours
        • Voltage
        • Fuel flow
        • Warning
        • Boat speed
        • Intake pressure
        • Surface water temperature
        • Water depth
        • Fuel level

See this thread for installation instructions: http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...n-th26089.html

Comment

Turned out to be the gateway itself. Put in a new one and everything works as it should.

Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to post the feed back.

Always welcomed. Seldom received.

Comment

So I know this is an extremely old post but I am in need of some help. I am having the issue that started this post. I have a Yamaha F300 and a Lowrance unit. My gauges were displaying on my unit just fine and then quit. I notice that my Yamaha gateway (p/n # 6Y98A2D00000) was flashing the a rapid yellow light. The Yamaha gateway (p/n # 6Y98A2D00000) I currently have is no longer available. I tried using a Lowrance to Yamaha interface cable but it didn't work and I was told this cable doesn't work on a F300. So now i am trying to figure out what my options are besides buying a Command Link display. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by james.small@hpe.com View Post
                I tried using a Lowrance to Yamaha interface cable but it didn't work and I was told this cable doesn't work on a F300. So now i am trying to figure out what my options are besides buying a Command Link display.
                The "Lowrance to Yamaha interface cable" WILL work,
                you just need to plug it in to a different connector under your remote control;

as Boscoe explained above

"The F300 has two data buses. One considered Command Link (CL) and the other considered Command Link Plus (CL+).

The rectangular colour multi-function display is connected to the CL+ bus.

You can also use the CL data bus to provide data to your NMEA 2000 network in which case a Gateway does not have to be used. "

In the mass of wadded-up/ziptied cable under your remote control,
                is the unused, capped off "Command Link" plug.
                Find it, and connect your Lowrance interface cable to it.

Alternatively, if you buy the latest Gateway,
                you can connect it just as the defunct Gateway was,
                and you will have on the Lowrance a "special Yamaha page"
                that emulates a Yamaha display.

Comment

Fairdeal, first off THANKS for the reply! When you mention the by the latest gateway are you referring to Yamaha p/n # 6YG-8A2D0-00-00 pictured below? I actual ordered one of these already but I am waiting on an ENMA cable to connect it. I will also try to locate the data buses. Does it matter which data bus I connect the interface cable to?

Comment

Yes, that 6YG-8A2D0-00-00 will "unlock the special Yamaha page"
                    as described here
                    https://www.docdroid.net/rYj7vOB/yam...3-w-pdf#page=2

It will work connected to either CL or CL+
                    so if you go that route,
                    just connect where you had the first one,
                    no reason to mess with the unused CL [plug.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                      Yes, that 6YG-8A2D0-00-00 will "unlock the special Yamaha page"
                      as described here
                      https://www.docdroid.net/rYj7vOB/yam...3-w-pdf#page=2

It will work connected to either CL or CL+
                      so if you go that route,
                      just connect where you had the first one,
                      no reason to mess with the unused CL [plug.
                      Thank you! Once my NMEA cable arrives I'll give it a try!

Comment

Wanted to reply and let Fairdeal and the others know with help received here I was able to get my gauges working again and even some extra features! Great forum! Thanks again!

Comment

Someone else (me) has found this post. Picked up a bunch of spare parts that included a 6Y98A2D00000.
                          I have a 6Y9 Command Link Plus gauge already hooked up and working with twin 2014 DEC F300's

Per some of the above info I hook into the buss bar and into my N2K backbone and I can not get the Yamaha icon to display on my Simrad NSS16 EVO3S

Yellow LED Flashing ON/OFF (repeating) - CL/CLP network and NMEA 2000R networks OK and data transmission OK.

Green light is steady on so power is fine

I turned on the gateway first then the engines then the displays to they system would see them when they power up.

I do get information on the "data" pages but not complete and no icons for Yamaha on the main page to complete set up

Next steps?

Comment

Working...
                          X