ran without flush hose screwed on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ran without flush hose screwed on

So i managed to run for about 15 min. up to 3500 rpm without my flush out hose screwed into the mounting/retaining block on the cowling on my new 150. I re hooked it as soon as i discovered it. I know reading the manual it says do not run without hose hooked to retaining block. My questions are:
    1. Did i just do damage to my motor? I got no alarm and the motor seems to be running just fine.
    2.Why do these motors still pee without the flush hose screwed on the "retaining block" ?
    Thanks in advance for any replies.

Did you have muffs installed over the water intake?

If you were running the outboard out of the water without fresh water flowing into the water intake, at a minimum you've likely drastically shortened the lifespan of your water pump/impeller. I would drop the lower unit and at least give it a visual inspection.

Comment

+1 on the water pump, that's fried. Replace that ASAP or you'll be pumping rubber parts of it thru out the engine.

I would also get the alarms checked as their obviously NOT working.

You may want to read your owners manual, that cowl flush device is ONLY to be used with the engine off.

When using the muffs, you SHOULD NOT BE anywhere near 3,500 RPM's. 1,100 TOPS.

Running that long, that fast with no cooling, if you didn't hurt anything(besides the water pump), you need to buy a lottery ticket as you'd be very lucky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJaTjMOEKP0
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

As I read it the boat and motor were being run in the water with the garden hose flush fitting not reconnected to its holder.

If this is correct, no harm no foul. The water pump will have had lots of water on it. The block might have had just a bit less water going to it but lots of water never goes through the block in any case.

If the alarm did not sound the motor did not over heat. Again, no harm no foul. Just use this as a lesson to make sure to reattach the garden hose flush fitting before using the motor. This is how we learn.

Oh, the water pees because the water pump is sending lots of water up to the block. Some goes out the tell tale before going to the motor. Some goes up to the block and head then through the thermostat and then back down the mid-section and out the exhaust. Water out of the tell tale (and water out of the garden hose flush fitting if not connected) is not the same water that flows through the block. See this post for a diagram that shows water flow through an F150.

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...e-th26711.html
        Last edited by boscoe99; 05-16-2016, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Thanks boscoe, you are correct and your answer was backed up by a mechanic who I couldn't get a hold of prior to posting here. Lesson learned on my part and thanks for the reply.

Comment

I second Boscoe...I also interpret this post as if the engine was being operated in open water, NOT out of open water. Another indication of my assumption is his #2 question "why is does engine still pee...". If the engine is pissing then either the water hose is in use (which it wasn't) or the water pump is in use.

It's a fun guessing when we aren't given specific details, eh boys.
            Jason
            1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
              I second Boscoe...I also interpret this post as if the engine was being operated in open water, NOT out of open water. Another indication of my assumption is his #2 question "why is does engine still pee...". If the engine is pissing then either the water hose is in use (which it wasn't) or the water pump is in use.

It's a fun guessing when we aren't given specific details, eh boys.
              Yes I pickup on inconsistencies " still peeing" even when I have not digested completely what was said.

Comment

Your welcome BCJRSEAK

My ESP isn't working so well...

Flushing your engine while in the water RUNNING at 3,500 RPM, it's like tying your shoe while kicking it off... Makes no sense to me....
                Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-16-2016, 08:37 PM.
                Scott

Comment

not sure where you are coming up with him flushing his motor at 3500 rpm, he said he was running at 3500.
                  that means to me that he was out on the water running the boat and forgot to hook it back up after flushing the last time

Comment

99 is correct as well. I can see this place is full of arrogant internet buddies with reading comprehension problems like 99% of all the other forums on the internet , too bad. For the members who helped by answering my question I thank you , for ones who seemed bothered I wont bother you here again , maybe i can come visit you at work and bother you , it shouldn't be hard to find the douche-bag factory.

Comment

Miscomprehension has been acknowledged and somewhat apologised for.

Your reference to internet buddies is partially true, I see it replacing pen friends sometimes but more a means of offering wisdom and knowledge gained through life.
                      Speaking for myself, this medium is attractive as it enables you to write what you have said many times before but is increasingly difficult to relate verbally to the generation of today.
                      I think the contributors on this forum, by and large are worthwhile. if sometimes like myself seemingly tragic.

Comment

Originally posted by BCJRSEAK View Post
                        99 is correct as well. I can see this place is full of arrogant internet buddies with reading comprehension problems like 99% of all the other forums on the internet , too bad. For the members who helped by answering my question I thank you , for ones who seemed bothered I wont bother you here again , maybe i can come visit you at work and bother you , it shouldn't be hard to find the douche-bag factory.
                        It wasn't a bother. I cannot see thru the computer and answered the way I read it.

Of course it wouldn't hurt the WP if it was in the water, that'd also explain why no overheat alarms.

Perhaps I should have asked more questions as your original post is lacking in specific's (at least to me- I guess I can't read with my college degree, 42 years wrenching, 25 years writing official Law Enforcement documents/ interviews, etc).

And your always welcome to the douche-bag factory, just wear a hard hat..
                        Scott

Comment

Originally posted by BCJRSEAK View Post
                          Are you a millennial? It would seem so. You construct a poorly worded request for assistance and then seem to be offended when well meaning folks cannot interpret your crap. You are not as special as yo momma told you you are.

If 99% of the places you visit seem to have the same problem you might want to consider what is the one common element to those 99% places you visit. It would be you.

Get some spine. Try to stop your upper lip from quivering. Become a man and then "man up".

And as the man said, don't let the door hit you in your wimpy ass on the way out. Hasta la bye bye baby!

Comment

***wie
                            have a snickers .

I will agree the question was hard to read.
                            took me a couple readings.
                            but I play 20 questions at work all day everyday.

remember the guy I posted all the crazy leakage numbers with the 5.7 the other day?

he called Monday morning and said I did something cause after the leakdown test it ran poorly.

that is the wonderful thing with modern EFI controls, it can force the engine to run long after a carb motor would have simply quit.

took 20 questions before he admitted that the engine had recently suffured a severe overheat.
                            I already knew it had overheated in the last 32 starts .

the other nice thing about modern EFI.
                            I can typically interrogate the ECU and gather critical need to know information that the customer conveniently forgot.

Comment

The best way to use this parts forum is, read the 1st post, go to rodbolts answers, skip everything else inbetween, and get ready to learn about yamahas and how to fix your problem. He's better than a shop manual.

Comment

Working...
                              X