115 2 Stroke water flushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 115 2 Stroke water flushing

Has anyone ever added a fresh water flushing system to these motors? I would like to be able to not only flush without having to run the motor, but would also like to be able to possible flush with SaltX or something similar from time to time to prevent scale build up.

without running the motor the stats will not be open up to flush out all passages

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      without running the motor the stats will not be open up to flush out all passages

How do similar system work on the newer motors, do they somehow by-pass the Tstats?

Comment

Originally posted by Captnc369 View Post
        How do similar system work on the newer motors, do they somehow by-pass the Tstats?
        Nope. The thermostats are not bypassed. They do have small bleed passages across them to allow a tiny bit of water to flow. Some flush water can get across the thermostat but not much.

Sounds to me like what you may want to do is to strap a bucket around the lower unit. In the bucket will be your SaltX/water mix and an electric pump. The pump will pump the mix to the motor via the garden hose flush fitting. Water that goes through the motor will go back into the bucket to get recycled. The pump will pick it up and send it back to the motor. Around and around it will go. Maybe thoroughly flushing the innards of the motor.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          Nope. The thermostats are not bypassed. They do have small bleed passages across them to allow a tiny bit of water to flow. Some flush water can get across the thermostat but not much.

Sounds to me like what you may want to do is to strap a bucket around the lower unit. In the bucket will be your SaltX/water mix and an electric pump. The pump will pump the mix to the motor via the garden hose flush fitting. Water that goes through the motor will go back into the bucket to get recycled. The pump will pick it up and send it back to the motor. Around and around it will go. Maybe thoroughly flushing the innards of the motor.
          Yes that is what I was thinking but my motor doesn't have a garden hose flush fitting. I have to flush with muffs and don't think I would be able to generate enough pressure to flush through them with out running motor. Any suggestions?

Comment

What model two stroke?

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
              What model two stroke?

1987 115ETLH Oil injected 2 stroke

Comment

1987 115ETLH Oil injected 2 stroke
                I have not done this and have been meaning to follow up.

My 175 has a bolt above the thermostat chamber, I haven't checked whether my 85 115 has. But I would imagine you could adapt a fitting that fits this hole with some sort of tap. Water to this point goes behind the thermostat. And if you flush there I believe the flow will be in reverse to what the pump pumps, giving you the added advantage of moving caught stuff out backwards.
                When I move some stuff I'll go look at the 115.

Comment

why not use the canvas bag flush method?
                  you can buy it or make it.

Comment

How about adding an adapter to the hose (for muffs), like they use for fertilizing gardens with the garden hose BUT using the salt away instead of course fertilizer.

Do most of your flushing on muffs W/O the salt away, then for the last minute or so, apply and let it stay in the block (un-less otherwise directed).

The engines already hot, t-stats open, your salt away goes EVERYWHERE...

Here ya go:
                    http://www.amazon.com/Mixing-Salt-Aw...=sr_1_5&sr=8-5
                    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-23-2016, 08:05 AM.
                    Scott
                    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
                      I have not done this and have been meaning to follow up.

My 175 has a bolt above the thermostat chamber, I haven't checked whether my 85 115 has. But I would imagine you could adapt a fitting that fits this hole with some sort of tap. Water to this point goes behind the thermostat. And if you flush there I believe the flow will be in reverse to what the pump pumps, giving you the added advantage of moving caught stuff out backwards.
                      When I move some stuff I'll go look at the 115.

1987 115ETLH Yamaha Outboard CRANKCASE CYLINDER Diagram and Parts

So you think if I make a hose connection and put it in place of items #7 on this break down I can then be able to flush motor without having to run it? That is my ultimate goal, due to early morning and late evenings returning and people trying to rest in the campgrounds.

Comment

1987 115ETLH Yamaha Outboard CRANKCASE CYLINDER Diagram and Parts

So you think if I make a hose connection and put it in place of items #7 on this break down I can then be able to flush motor without having to run it? That is my ultimate goal, due to early morning and late evenings returning and people trying to rest in the campgrounds.
                        I have just looked at those No 7 plugs on my engine. I have never had this engine apart so can't be sure, but looks promising. Those plugs are into the block but on my other 175 they are in the head.
                        There might be some argument that the water should be pushed up into the water channels to flood them; whereas it might be considered down flushing might miss a lot. Therefore you may need to seal off (don't exactly know what to do there) the bottom of the cooling passages/chambers, to soak them.

Hope someone in the know responds.

Interesting how some of the other respondees have missed your point.
                        Last edited by zenoahphobic; 05-23-2016, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Interesting how some of the other respondees have missed your point.
                          WE gave other options. It wasn't until JUST PRIOR to your post, why he doesn't want to run the engine (coming in late not wanting to bother the neighbors).
                          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                            WE gave other options. It wasn't until JUST PRIOR to your post, why he doesn't want to run the engine (coming in late not wanting to bother the neighbors).
                            Opening post: "......flush without running the motor"

Comment

Opening post: "......flush without running the motor"
                              Absolutely correct however others have pointed out that's not the best method for flushing. Its better to run and get the thermostat open.

Had it been posted first because he didn't want to bother the neighbors late at night flushing, the posts would have been different..
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X