Yamaha 9.9 (2005) stop switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 9.9 (2005) stop switch

I've just ordered a new stop switch, but I am not sure my grounds for doing so are good. The motor is new to me. I bought the 1989 sailboat it is on late last summer launched it only once to test the motor. It started and idled wel but I wanted to now if it would speed up and take a load. It did not: it only idled well.
    This spring I sent the carburetor out for service. Then, the first time I tried the engine, I forgot the stop lanyard and cranked it quite a lot without the clip on the stop switch.
    When I remembered and put on the clip, there was one puff, no start. We could not detect a spark at the plugs.
    After downloading and studying the manual, I decided to test the stop switch first. I can't get any sign of continuity with or without the clip in place. I tested my tester by touching the leads together and got a signal.
    So I ordered the switch. Does anybody think I should have done something else?

switch is either open or closed.
    if you cannot get it test correctly, and you are testing it correctly it must be bad.
    but I have no way of knowing from where I am sitting, if you are testing it properly

Comment

The switch is normally open when the clip is installed. Pulling the lanyard causes the switch to close and stop the motor from running.

If your switch had no continuity then the motor should have run but would not have been able to stop the motor from running when the lanyard was pulled. Just opposite of what I think you are saying.

Back to the drawing board methinketh.

Comment

Working...
      X