Running new cable Yamaha 225

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running new cable Yamaha 225

I want to run an NMEA 2000 cable from the engine to the boat through the plastic conduit that houses the fuel and electrical harness. Is there a tip on how to do this easily?

if you are replacing a cable , just tie the new to the old and pull it through.
    if you are lucky someone ran and left an extra pull wire for this.
    always tie an extra pull wire or sturdy line to the one you pull in so it will be there for the next time you need it

Comment

"easiest" could be using an electrician's "fish tape"

I once used the fuel hose itself to pull a wire through - that actually was easy. (I had enough length of wire to then pull the fuel hose back into place)

I've found that disconnecting everything at the engine - battery cables, shift & throttle cables, fuel line, electrical harness etc - and removing the rigging tube from its clamp, so that it can straighten out, makes it very easy to snake a wire through - but that's "a lot of work".

Comment

what is realy fun is when the fish tape or pull wire is wrapped up in the other cables wires.
        be careful if this happens you can damage wires pulling around them sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
          "easiest" could be using an electrician's "fish tape"

I once used the fuel hose itself to pull a wire through - that actually was easy. (I had enough length of wire to then pull the fuel hose back into place)

I've found that disconnecting everything at the engine - battery cables, shift & throttle cables, fuel line, electrical harness etc - and removing the rigging tube from its clamp, so that it can straighten out, makes it very easy to snake a wire through - but that's "a lot of work".
          That seems like a lot of work. Think I'll try your first suggestion - fish tape. I assume it's easiest to run from engine to boat instead of the opposite. also removing conduit from engine and running it that way vs. running it from inside he engine/

I plan on fish tape and then attach a messenger line and pull through.

Comment

I'd pull from what ever end is smaller thru the hull.

A good amount of tape (besides normal zip tying as well) to keep potential hang ups from happening...

Much less chance of hanging up and often a second body body (should it hang up) can help pull it back and forth GENTLY until its not hung up and moving again.
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

On my F150 the grommet is split and held together with wire ties. I simply snipped the ties, opened the grommet slightly and ran the NMEA wire through an unoccupied hole in the grommet, put on new wire ties and pulled them tight.

Comment

Originally posted by RayBersch View Post
                On my F150 the grommet is split and held together with wire ties. I simply snipped the ties, opened the grommet slightly and ran the NMEA wire through an unoccupied hole in the grommet, put on new wire ties and pulled them tight.
                The grommet on the bottom left of the below pic(F150). You can see you can still get another line in there:

Scott

Comment

[QUOTE=TownsendsFJR1300;118802]The grommet on the bottom left of the below pic(F150). You can see you can still get another line in there:

Indeed, but I just preferred the look of having the NMEA wire integrated into the grommet and through rigging hose. In my opinion, it just looks neater.

Comment

[QUOTE=RayBersch;118804]
                    Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                    The grommet on the bottom left of the below pic(F150). You can see you can still get another line in there:

Indeed, but I just preferred the look of having the NMEA wire integrated into the grommet and through rigging hose. In my opinion, it just looks neater.
                    I think we're on the same page, just running the new cable with the rest, no?
                    Scott

Comment

Working...
                    X