2012 yamaha F150 water pressure gauge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RayBersch View Post
    Jerry, remove the blind plug - see arrow in attached pic of your F150 - which is the plug fairdeal mentioned- then you can install the device (Water Pressure Adaptor) you mentioned in Post #4, then attach your EP 90R pressure sensor, then plug into your NMEA network. By doing it this way you will add the pressure sensor as a drop in your NMEA backbone and you will have and additional wire to feed the cable through the engine grommet.

When someone asks about a water pressure gauge I usually chime in with some info on what to expect once installed (see Yamaha FAQ below.) You have already purchased the adaptor, however, and I hope to save someone the cost of the Yamaha pressure sensor that fairdeal mentioned in case they are looking for low speed water pressure as I was. The device is quite expensive - but its plug and play and you can read water pressure from your Lawrence fish finder/chartplotter. With the new Gen 2 Touch and Gen 3 models you can add engine data to any page. However, you can just as easily display water temperature without the pressure adaptor as long as you are using the engine data interface anyway. Water temperature is what you are really interested in - water pressure is just a proxy for water temperature.
    Hope this helps.

FAQ
    What is the minimum water pressure required for my Yamaha outboard(s)?
    All Yamaha outboards have a minimum water pressure of eleven (11) psi at Wide Open Throttle (WOT). There are no announced water pressure specs for low or mid-range operation at this time. This is due to our high volume low pressure cooling system design. In fact, you may see zero pressure at idle, as most water pressure sensors start working at 3-psi.
    Thank you for the arrow to the right plug I dont have command link or I would have went the ways mentioned above,

I have added a jackplate and want to be able to check pressure when engine is lifted up so it doesnt over heat

My HDS Gen 2 gives all data on all pages (and I have temp overlayed now) but not pressure. Now i will be able to see when its raised too much and starts to lose pressure I know it wont show any pressure at idle Thanks again

Comment

Good pick. I motor almost 2 miles of serpentine low water at ±1,500 - 2,000 rpm to move between lakes - no jack plate - so I hear prop slap the entire trip just to keep the skeg out of the rocks - water pressure is minimal at best, same as with the motor full down at that rpm. So lifting straight up with a jack plate just may show pressure drop. I'd be interested in hearing your experience because I have considered a jack plate but I just didn't want to add any more weight back there.

The great thing with the new fish finder/chart plotters is that you don't need Command Link to get all of the motor info - I have the water pressure sensor mentioned above and the great thing (other than the $180 cost) is that it just plugs in to a factory installed connector and eliminates the extra wire through the grommet.

Comment

Sorry for being so stubborn about what I wanted I did some more reading into what you guys said,

If I buy Yamaha 69J-8A4L0-10-00 Boat Water Pressure Sensor Module

it will plug into my existing harness??

Can someone show me on my picture where that harness is?

I see the kit doenst come with any leads? Is there a jumper wire or something else I need to get??

Thanks for all the help and again sorry for the misunderstanding, I thought you had to have command series for this to work

Comment

Originally posted by ierryc231 View Post
          Sorry for being so stubborn about what I wanted I did some more reading into what you guys said,

If I buy Yamaha 69J-8A4L0-10-00 Boat Water Pressure Sensor Module

it will plug into my existing harness??

Can someone show me on my picture where that harness is?

I see the kit doenst come with any leads? Is there a jumper wire or something else I need to get??
          Yes, that "pressure sensor module" will plug into your existing harness.

Yamaha hoped that you would use it with their Command Link gauges -

but you don't have to!!

1. the sensor screws into where the plug is now, First you remove the plug, then you screw the sensor in its place.

2. Just to the left of the plug, is a sensor lead. It has a white label on it that says 'W" . "w" as in "water" !!!

That lead was put there by Yamaha specifically to connect to the water sensor!!

Can anyone else see the green arrows? maybe I'm just imagining that they are there......

Comment

I can see green arrows fine Thanks I will go look for sensor Dang so much easier

Comment

What green arrows?

How is the water in sensor detector/high vacuum detector modification coming along? I thought we would have seen some 8 X 10 photos by now with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back explaining the modification.
              Last edited by boscoe99; 05-18-2016, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Your telling me that if i buy this sensor 69J-8A4L0-10-00 for 150 bucks and plug this cable with the W on it I will get water pressure on my HDS and LMF 40 gauge?? Easy as that?

W appears to be plugged into a dummy? Is that correct?

Comment

I can see green arrows fine Thanks I will go look for sensor Dang so much easier
                  Get your loan pre-approved before going to buy the sensor.

Comment

Is 160 bucks too much to have a water pressure gauge?

Comment

Your telling me that if i buy this sensor 69J-8A4L0-10-00 for 150 bucks and plug this cable with the W on it I will get water pressure on my HDS and LMF 40 gauge?? Easy as that?

W appears to be plugged into a dummy? Is that correct?
                      Buy the kit. It will have the adapter needed to thread into the block. The sensor will plug into the adapter. Plug in the connector and you will see water pressure on your MFD if it is displaying engine data.

2014 Yamaha MRP Catalog

69J-8A4L0-12-00 WATER PRESSURE SENSO

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                        What green arrows?

How is the water in sensor detector/high vacuum detector modification coming along? I thought we would have seen some 8 X 10 photos by now with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back explaining the modification.
                        The way my filter "head" is mounted/plumbed I don't have clearance to simply thread the sensor in to the unused outlet port.

Waiting on the mailman to bring me a part - might be here tomorrow.

And actually I'm still undecided what to do for the water-sensing "switch" itself...

Comment

I think the confusion is that the sensor is NME2ooo compliant (hence cost) and connects straight into any MFD "backbone".

I wish someone would publish some electronic circuits, or a kit, that you can add to any old analogue or digital gauge making it pluggable into NMEA2000 MFD.

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
                            I think the confusion is that the sensor is NME2ooo compliant (hence cost) and connects straight into any MFD "backbone".

I wish someone would publish some electronic circuits, or a kit, that you can add to any old analogue or digital gauge making it pluggable into NMEA2000 MFD.
                            Yes that was the confusing part for me

Thanks to all for the great advice

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post

The last I looked, there were several brands/models of "analog to N2K" converters available, although not inexpensive; >$300 IIRC.

They all require some degree of "project" to make them work.

And for a real "kit" there is the Arduino- pretty sure people are using that for N2K conversion

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                                The last I looked, there were several brands/models of "analog to N2K" converters available, although not inexpensive; >$300 IIRC.

They all require some degree of "project" to make them work.

And for a real "kit" there is the Arduino- pretty sure people are using that for N2K conversion
                                Downunder we don't have a local industry so a few things are imported and are very expensive, may as well buy new and just plug and play.
                                Just was having a flashback moment when my electronics was easy, just buy a few cheap components solder into a box and save megabucks on a commercial product.

Comment

Working...
                                X