Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 25hp lower unit problem

hi guys

I was out in my boat the other day put it in reverse heard a loud clunking and then reverse wouldn't engage, came home and was trying to adjust the shift linkage was putting it in forward reverse and neutral then spinning the prop (only did it once in each gear) and it felt like the reverse clutch dog stuck on stupid me put it in forwards again and the forwards one did the same I drained the oil it came out milky(obviously a seal is gone) and I only got about 100ml out of it luckily there was no little bits of metal in it not even little shaves of metal next step is pulling the prop, prop shaft and gears etc. out just wondering if anyone can give me a few tips? and if anyone knows how tight (the torque if needed) the prop bolt should be when I put it back together?

only had the boat 6 months and was told by the outboard mechanics shop that sold it to me the motor had just had a major service that they rebuilt the lower unit and I was the first owner since.

I would take it back after only 6 months to see what they say.

A Yamaha service manual is needed if you plan on doing this stuff yourself

Comment

It was sold to me as is so no warranty/guarantee not sure if I wanna take it back to that guy if this is his idea of a rebuilt lower unit. If the lower unit is totally stuffed I was thinking of just buying a whole unit from a wreckers somewhere and chucking that on instead and of course pressure testing it before I think I'm done

I am getting a manual I've been trying to find a repair manual but the only one I can find are located overseas I will look at getting a service manual tho

thanks

Comment

being that you have not told us where you and the motor came from or is now, or what exact motor model you have we cannot be of much help.

my guess is it is not one from the USA since you mentioned 100ml

Comment

USA motor

im in australia the engine serial number is 61RS010604 I rang yamaha and they told me it is a 25VMHS and that it is a USA motor

Comment

Working...
          X