Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F225txrd main engine control cable question

so, here's what the SM shows as the pins of the electrical control cable

Ever since frequenting this forum, I have thought of it as "the 10 pin cable"

I just now realized - that diagram only shows _9_.

From a file Boscoe posted recently, the "missing pin" has "traditionally"?

been for choke/primestart.

Of course, my F225txrd has neither.

So if I go downstairs, take the cowling off, separate that connector-

- will I see 10 pins on the "boat" side of the connector?

- I'm guessing I will, but that I won't see 10 on the "engine" side

the engine side will show 9, the control side still has 10.
    as the F225 was ALWAYS EFI and NEVER used a prime start device nor a choke that blue wire is not in the harness.

however that ign cable from the helm to the engine was the same as a 2010 150 two stroke that DID use a blue wire in the engine harness.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
      the engine side will show 9, the control side still has 10.
      as the F225 was ALWAYS EFI and NEVER used a prime start device nor a choke that blue wire is not in the harness.

however that ign cable from the helm to the engine was the same as a 2010 150 two stroke that DID use a blue wire in the engine harness.
      Correction. The F225 does have Primestart.

Why do I get so much pleasure in catching rodnut with his pants down?

Comment

correction to the correction.
        I said a Prime START DEVICE. yes many many motors since the late 80's have used a system of cold start that only required the operator to turn the key.
        the early excel motors used A&B solinoids and an enrichment fuel pump and an ECU,once running and warmed up this cold start device could also be used to increase fuel delivery as nessasary.
        the later 3.1L motors used 6 solinoids and an electric pump for "PRIME START.
        once running and warmed up the ecu could alter the fuel delivery as much as 20% depending on the inputs to the ECU.

now we get to EFI, there is nothing,device wise, other than the standard running parts that an open/closed loop EFI speed density system needs.
        no wax pellet heaters,no solinoids and with the exception of a carbed prime start all the other carbed prime start motors haad a manual bypass.
        EFI has no manual bypass for automatic enrichment it either starts or its broke.

the only connection with a prime start version of the 80's carbed motors and the prime start on an F225 or an F350 is the fact that they are designed to turn the key or the system is broke.

that's why I specified prime start DEVICES.

Comment

it's all in the wording.
          sometime our eyes see something and the brain sees it as something else

age seems to have something to do with this.

old and young have this type of problem more than others it seems
          Last edited by 99yam40; 05-01-2016, 05:15 PM.

Comment

I'm feeling some "luving" happening here!

Good job fairdeal!!!!
            Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-01-2016, 05:07 PM.
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

In an F200/F225/F250 the Primestart device is embedded within the ECU.

Comment

Think of the miles of blue wire that Yamaha saved by not having it within the main engine harness?

The savings were passed along to the customers in the form of reduced pricing.

Yamaha - Where we cheat the other customer and pass the savings along to you!

Comment

well, whether or not I have a "free" blue wire running from the console to under the cowl,

I KNOW I have four other "extra wires" coming through the rigging tube:

Of course one is black, one gray, but I can only guess at the other two colors:

"Peach" ? the other, a sorry shade of "orange" ?

I'm guessing these would have been used for "oil management" on a two-smoke?

I can see them clearly at the engine, but the back of my console is so hard to access - the other end must be back there .....I'm not sure

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                    In an F200/F225/F250 the Primestart device is embedded within the ECU.
                    Just like the EPA says about Volkswagen, their diesel emissions "cheat device" is all in the ECU software.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                      well, whether or not I have a "free" blue wire running from the console to under the cowl,

I KNOW I have four other "extra wires" coming through the rigging tube:

Of course one is black, one gray, but I can only guess at the other two colors:

"Peach" ? the other, a sorry shade of "orange" ?

I'm guessing these would have been used for "oil management" on a two-smoke?

I can see them clearly at the engine, but the back of my console is so hard to access - the other end must be back there .....I'm not sure
                      Good guess but not really.

Motors prior to 2005 (2004 and earlier) used eight wires in the trim/oil harness. Motors at 2005 and later use just four wires in the trim/oil harness. Seems that you have a later model motor with an earlier trim/oil harness which can work just fine.

And guess what? Early Yamaha tachometers had eight wires so that certain information could be sent up and down those wires. Later Yamaha tachometers had only four wires with less information being provided to the tachometer or available from the tachometer. Yam likes to change stuff to keep folks guessing. Remember we talked about a water in fuel warning system and a check engine system on earlier tachometers but which was removed on later tachometers? Two wires were needed just for this but then when the tachometer lost that functionality the wires weren't needed.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

Motors prior to 2005 (2004 and earlier) used eight wires in the trim/oil harness. Motors at 2005 and later use just four wires in the trim/oil harness....

Early Yamaha tachometers had eight wires so that certain information could be sent up and down those wires. Later Yamaha tachometers had only four wires with less information being provided to the tachometer or available from the tachometer.
                        "the mind reels" - lol

ok! - thanks, again!

Comment

More stuff for your mind to reel around. My mind is not what it used to be. Can't remember what some of the wire colours are used for in the Yam digital tachometer.

Comment

Working...
                          X