Tach reading zero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tach reading zero

Got a used 2006 50TLR 6H5K w/ a digital tach. Every thing seems to work except the tach shows 0. Checked the green wire continuity from the gauge to the plug at the flywheel, it was good. Checked the leads, no voltage with engine running. Change meter to Hz and got readings. Don't know what this means. How is the best way to check this/ Where does the signal come from?
    Attached Files

Are you saying that you checked the green wire, from the lighting coil to the rectifier/regulator, to a known ground and there was no AC voltage shown on the meter?

The tachometer reference signal comes from the lighting coil that is underneath the flywheel. Magnets on the flywheel induce a voltage in the coil when they wiz by the coil.

The lighting coil provides AC power to the rectifier/regulator which converts the power from AC to DC. In your model there should be a connector into which a bullet connector is plugged that feeds the signal to the tachometer. Should also be a green wire that runs to the main ten pin harness.
    Last edited by boscoe99; 04-29-2016, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Yes, I traced the green wire from the tach thru the main ten pin harness then goes in behind the electrical unit then out to the plug at the flywheel. I don't remember if I was checking AC OR DC.

Comment

The dip switches are set for #1 on 2001 or newer, #2 on 6 pole, #3 off 2 stroke.

Comment

the tach counts pulses, you read HZ so I would say it is getting a signal.

Might operate the switches a few times to wipe/clean contacts inside

Comment

I will, Thanks for your help.

Comment

Wiring and wiring connections are the problem about 99% of the time.

Can you connect the green lead from the tachometer directly to the green wire connector coming from the lighting coil? Of course you apply power and a ground to the tachometer. Then start the motor and confirm that the output from the lighting coil is working and the tachometer works.

Then find and fix the wiring issue.

Comment

Connected the tach directly to the lighting coil lead, no signal. Checked the tach to make sure it worked and it did. Removed the flywheel and it looks like the coils are damaged. Possibly when it was removed from a boat. Ordered new lighting coil.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the feed back.

Sorry for the problem but now at least you know.

Comment

Working...
                  X