Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1983 60c rebuild

Hi everyone,
    bought a Shetland 535 (16 foot planing cabin cruiser/ fishing boat) with a tired Yamaha 60c (badged as a Mariner 60e) Serial number 6FO-303996 1983 2 pot two stroke. Seems o.k. ran it for 30 mins getting it home, could not really gun it for long we have a strictly enforced 5 knot limit on our part of the estuary, was a bit lumpy but keen. Needed tlc (30 years of little maintenance). Water pump, thermostat, plugs, pipework, fuel lines, filter, wiring and all external controls replaced, all check valves checked. Carbs stripped and rebuilt, reed valves perfect. Now got to pull the motor and strip the steering stem as it runs too tight, bugger. My question is : is there any point in searching for a link rod to use the "through tube" steering ( I am missing the link rod), or just go with an easy to find universal helm ball post kit, splashwell mounted ? (no power trim)
    One other point. Did a compression test both plugs out, wide open throttle, no oil in the bores, motor had been stood for 2 months. Got readings of 143psi and 145psi ? Checked this with 2 more guages. No signs of significant coking on the head or piston (both showed little sign of wear ???), exhaust clear. ??? seems high to me, was expecting (hoping for) anything over 100psi. (checked the carb jets and all are standard, was thinking it may have been "tweaked" but everything else is standard. Unless it has been repainted it looks as though everything is original.
    Would like to make contact with anyone who has knowledge/experience of this engine, or who can help with any more parts I may need. About to test the engine, balance carbs, with a vauum set, check timing etc and then stick her back on the boat. Has anyone got the spec/dimensions of the link rod so I can make one from stainless ?
    Thanks Mad Prof (aka Neil) United Kingdom ( I worked on outboards in Scotland for a year back in 1974 !!!)
    My other hobby is a Honda Valkyrie F6C !!! 6 pots, 6 carbs, 6 straight through pipes, 1500cc. Marvellous

I would think you'd be able to find the steering arm, I'm sure it was used on many models.

Once that's repaired, you might try one of there (but smaller for your engine):
    Steersman Steering Cable Grease Guard 7/8" Aluminum

Once that's on and greased occasionally, it'll never rust up again. Mine was on my previous Evinrude and got transferred to the Yamaha and has been in service well over 25 years, salt water use...

Your compression sounds good, their WELL within 10% of each other.
    BTW, I had the "loaded" Valkarie (2004 1800cc G0ldwing):

Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Is item 2 that which you are seeking?

1984 70ETLN Yamaha Outboard STEERING GUIDE ATTACHMENT Diagram and Parts

Comment

Hi thanks for the reply,
        My service manual gives similar part numbers for the tie bar (688-61350-50) and other fittings but no part number for the link rod. Looks similar to the part shown but only has 1 bend ( like an elongated "L"). The 60c finished 83/84, I think the listed part is for the newer model. I cant seem to find any reference to Mariner/Yamaha parts pre 84. Does anyone have a parts diagram/numbers list for the the 60c ?
        That part is big bucks anyway, may just measure it and make the part.
        Thanks Mad Prof

Comment

I was going to say, even if you get a longer, similar one, cut it in the middle, shorten it and TIG weld it back to your spec's..

Your engine doesn't show here on the US Yamaha parts website.
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Hi,
            thanks for that. I have the Clymer Manual for Mariners 2-220HP 1976-1989. It has seperate articles for 1976-1983 60HP models. I assume all others are Mariners and the 60HP 2 pot 2 stroke is the rebadged Yamaha 60C. Going to make the part anyway, can midify all connections as required. Opted to go the through tube route as it makes tilting put less strain on the steering cable.
            Thanks Neil
            Also have the original Yamaha 60C service manual, very similar to the rebadged "Mariner 60E" I have, just a simpler mounting arrangement with 2 external shocks and no option for power tilt.

Comment

60 (2 CYL.) 6F0-300311 AND UP Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

You are calling the part a tie bar. Yamaha calls it a link rod. Not sure what it is that you really need.

Comment

Hi,
                  thanks very useful, exactly what I need. I mentioned the "tie bar" because it was the part showing a similar part number to the "link rod" in the Yamaha Service Manual. The tie bar is used to join the steering on twin motor installations. It is the "link" rod I need.
                  Thanks for your help.
                  Regards Neil

Comment

Working...
                  X