F250 lower unit problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F250 lower unit problem

I have twin 2009 F-250s and one of them decides to give me a problem 60 miles offshore this weekend. We had been *****ing all morning then decided to pick up and run to another area, and the port engine sounded different, not really a whining sound but just higher pitched. We pulled back and heard clack clack clack. No alarms went off, engine was peeing and engine oil looked fine.

So we limped in on one motor and am going to have it the lower unit pulled off soon I hope.

I did notice when we had the motor tilted up for the long ride home even with it in gear the prop was still spinning.

Any thoughts on this? I sure hope the lower unit isn't shot. Has 800 hours and I don't run them hard. I know everything is speculation until it gets torn apart.

thanks for any input.

Hopefully, it's just that the linkage came loose.

Try putting it in gear manually on the side of the motor before tearing the lower unit apart. At least take the cover off and watch as the motor is shifted into gear to make sure it's moving the full distance required.

If it's the lower, I hope it doesn't cost you too much.
    -Tony

Comment

Originally posted by JackintheBoat View Post
      the port engine sounded different, not really a whining sound but just higher pitched. We pulled back and heard clack clack clack.
      I did notice when we had the motor tilted up for the long ride home even with it in gear the prop was still spinning.
      Not much to go on, need to do some more checking .

why was the motor still in gear on the ride home?

Comment

I have twins so just limped in on one.

As you say maybe its the shift linkage or the driveshaft bearing, will see once the mechanic looks at it.

Comment

Drain the oil from the problem lower unit into a clean container to check for water/corrosion/metal parts in oil....it will tell you something regarding the general condition of the lower unit.....I had a lower unit leak the oil out and then fill with water and the bearings were whining...it was fresh water so just added oil and fixed the seal and it was O.K.....if you're in saltwater then any leakage can be much more serious.....

Comment

Working...
          X