`04 300 hpdi lower unit lz300turc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• `04 300 hpdi lower unit lz300turc

was on a friends boat this weekend in the keys and he ran aground a couple times,once hard,toasted a flow thru hub which was an easy fix once we found one. the next day while running close to full tilt, what i would assume was the lower unit jumping out of gear,the motor revved high and speed slowed/dropped.thinking we blew another hub we slowed down to idle for a couple mins then tried it again and worked fine. what damage to the gears or inner shift linkage could have been done so that the lower unit INTERMITTENTLY spins or jumps out of gear?? no prop shaft damage but something gave out for a few seconds. ideas??

jb123
    As you know there are no clutches in the lower unit, the gears turn all the time and the shift dog is what engages the the gears to make prop shaft turn, the only way for a gear to slip is from missing teeth on gear and if the shift dog wasn't fulley engaged it should be noisey and would be able to feel it jumping in and out of gear. Check the lower unit oil for metal on lower drain screw magnet. My guess would be another prop hub slipping.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

yea the insert is still intact, i figured he may have bent a dog and popped out of gear...but worked fine after... very strange.

Comment

duplicate

Comment

Working...
        X