F70 Tiller Steering Friction Plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F70 Tiller Steering Friction Plate

New to this forum and I have seen reference to this issue in the past in other places and did a search here but came up empty.

I have a new-to-me F70 tiller OB. Love everything about it except:

The steering tension assembly works itself loose in about 10 min. Very frustrating to have to carry a wrench around and continually get under there are tighten it up. ALmost impossible with the boat underway so this year starting to use it to ***** for salmon it has been unbearable.

Try and replace the bottom factory nut with a nylon insert washer? Locktite?

Anyone have any experience with this issue and solving it?

Thanks, Paul

Maybe some yellow 3M weatherstrip adhesive on the threads....should hold it in place without totally locking the threads....

Comment

I would try loctite blue not the red

Comment

Is there room to use a longer bolt and insert a short, heavy push spring in between, (to act like a lock washer) to keep pressure on it?

If not, one or two SS lock washers, not fully tightened, just enough for drag. I would use red locktite. You can still adjust it with the red if need be.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I thought the red was the tougher one to break loose

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            I thought the red was the tougher one to break loose
            It is. The lock tite from hell.

I would install a new nylock nut and then maybe inspect the motor to see if the assembly is correct. The nylock should not be coming loose.

Comment

Yep, red is stronger. It can be loosened without a bunch of effort or heat.

That's all I use and have never had an issue getting the bolt loose with the proper tools. Even if you do, a heat gun (see below) will break it loose.

On some MC parts(and I suspect marine parts too), Yamaha uses some stuff that's easily 3x's stronger than the red and requires MUCH heat to break loose (stator-bolted inside the left side crankcase cover, PU sensor for the ignition on the opposite side of the engine-motorcycle engine).
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions! Giving it a quick look it appears to be assembled right per the exploded drawing I found but I'll double check carefully when I have a minute. The "main" nut is a "high vibration" lock nut with little slots cut in the nut to expand (I'm guessing) but it is not doing the job.

I will try to find a nylon-insert nut of the proper size, and second choice will be locktite.

Paul

Comment

Paul,

I am new to this forum. I am having the same problem. Did u get yours fixed? If so, how did you fix it?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X