very happy owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very happy owner

My 2004 g3 19' bass boat (****en eagle) with my 2004 90 hp 2 stroke has been a joy to own and operate. The boat is equipped with standard minn kota 50lb.*****ing motor and live wells and 3 batteries. We just bought this boat recently from a dealer and other than it not having a 24 volt *****ing motor as the dealer stated, the boat and motor, and accessories performed well. The one thing is at half throttle and plained out well the boat does pull hard to the left. It gets better only after you increase speed to nearly wide open. Any suggestions?

Adjust the little trim fin, you need to remember you adjust it to steer the motor, not the boat, so just think about which way to move it, do small adjustments with a water test in between.

Comment

+1 ^^^. Adjusting the fin, even one notch at a time, makes a big difference in the steering/pull.

Mine pulled super hard to starboard when the dealer re-powered / installed the fin one notch OPPOSITE (past center) of the below recommended setting for my F150.
      Put it back to the below position, completely different, no hands underway (if you wanted to).

This is the stock, recommended setting for mine(a good starting point):
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Very strange for a motor with a right hand turn propeller to cause a boat to be easier to turn to the left than the right. Normally, it will be harder to turn to the left.

Another factor in how the boat and motor performs is engine trim angle.

Get the boat onto plane and determine your typical crusie RPM/speed. Trim the engine up to the most efficient trim angle. Trim up and as you do note that the RPM increases and the boat speed increases. At some point the speed may start to diminish. You have just gone past the most efficient trim angle. Trim back down a bit.

Now turn the boat left and then right. It might turn easier in one direction than the other. If it is easier to the left then move the aft edge of the trim tab a bit left. Retest the motor making sure you go back to the noted engine trim position. Repeat the process and at some point the steering effort will be the same to the left as it is to the right.

Keep in mind that if you are trimmed down more than normal for some reason the boat will be easier to turn to the right. If the motor is trimmed up more than normal the boat will be easier to turn to the left. And if you go faster or slower than your normal cruise speed/RPM the steering effort will again be a bit different.

Comment

Working...
        X