Oil alarm issue 200 hp HPDI 2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil alarm issue 200 hp HPDI 2000

Hello , I am in a spot,, last year I had the oil alarm sound, and found the pump from the remote tank had failed. I was able to run the boat by adding oil to the engine tank, replacing the pump and remote tank filter, as followed by the seloc book.. pump works when the toggle switch on the motor is activated, no oil delivered, I did a google search and found the remote oil pump had to be primed so I disconnected the line coming from the remote tank at the engine tank and drew oil up with a hand suction pump, switch the toggle and she pumped oil, I put the boat up for the season, this week I went to fire up the motor using water to the ear muffs placed on the lower water pick up and the continuous alarm sounded , the dash lights show full oil, ,,, the engine tank is full as well,, What is my nest step? Thanks in advance
    Last edited by captbo60; 04-21-2016, 11:50 AM.

Are you saying that you have a Yamaha tachometer that indicates the oil system status and it is showing a non-low oil quantity condition but the horn is blaring with the motor running? See illustration below.

If you are saying that the lights indicate there is no low oil condition then maybe the horn is for some other reason.

Do you see a green light on your tachometer or do you see three steady bars on your tachometer?

You did not try and crank the motor with the kill switch pulled did you? That will sound the horn.

Comment

yes the graphic you posted is what I see all three icons are showing, Both oil tanks are full and the oil alarm is sounding,, a friend suggest I remove the cap form the engine oil tank to see if the float is stuck? I have not done that as yet! might get to it tonight,, It has to be something obvious I would think,, and thanks for responding! I just saw the end of your message no the engine was fired and running!
      Last edited by captbo60; 04-21-2016, 12:41 PM.

Comment

What is the tachometer indicating for the over temperature icon? Is it flashing?

If the float on the sensor assembly was stuck in the bottom position then all three bars would be flashing.

Do you know for sure that this is an oil alarm that you are hearing?

Comment

Check your fuel filter cup for the presence of water. That will set an alarm also in a 2000 Z200.

See page 2-20 of your owner's manual. After all else fails, read the instructions.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/s...-03-98_748.pdf

Comment

I have not checked the fuel filter but I will,, The tone is a solid "horn" as compared to a broken tone!

Again Thanks !

Comment

never heard of a different sounding alarm on a Yamaha.
              only has one buzzer that sounds from what I have heard

Comment

There is only one warning horn for a Yamaha outboard motor.

For low oil pressure in a four stroke, low oil quantity in the main oil tank in a two stroke or over temperature in either motor type the horn will sound a steady tone. The motor will be in the RPM reduction mode.

In the event of water in the fuel filter cup on some later model Yams the tone will be an intermittent, but only when the throttle handle is in neutral. It does not activate the RPM reduction mode.

In the event of some early models water in the fuel filter cup would sound the alarm and put the motor into RPM reduction modes.

A Yamaha is not a Yamaha is not a Yamaha. Knowing one type of Yamaha can fool one when it comes to a different type of Yamaha. Yamaha likes to keep folks guessing.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                  There is only one warning horn for a Yamaha outboard motor.

For low oil pressure in a four stroke, low oil quantity in the main oil tank in a two stroke or over temperature in either motor type the horn will sound a steady tone. The motor will be in the RPM reduction mode.

In the event of water in the fuel filter cup on some later model Yams the tone will be an intermittent, but only when the throttle handle is in neutral. It does not activate the RPM reduction mode.

In the event of some early models water in the fuel filter cup would sound the alarm and put the motor into RPM reduction modes.

A Yamaha is not a Yamaha is not a Yamaha. Knowing one type of Yamaha can fool one when it comes to a different type of Yamaha. Yamaha likes to keep folks guessing.
                  so, next trivia question:

I read just recently that an option with the Yamaha Fuel Management Meter is a water sensor,

in the "Racor" style - not engine - filter cup.

I assume that in the case of water, there would be some visual indicator on the FMM itself -

is there also an audible?

Comment

Yes, the Yamaha FMM has the capability of displaying a water in fuel warning for the boat mounted water separating fuel filter. No alarm however.

Read about it here on page 2-16

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/s...-03-98_747.pdf

2014 Yamaha MRP Catalog

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                      Yes, the Yamaha FMM has the capability of displaying a water in fuel warning for the boat mounted water separating fuel filter. No alarm however.

Read about it here on page 2-16
                      as always - thank you!

Comment

con mucho gusto

Comment

all audible alarms on all yamaha's are steady tone.
                          no intermittent beeps.

how can we get an audible on a Z motor?

low oil,audible
                          water in the fuel, audible,
                          overtemp,audible,
                          low battery voltage,audible.
                          cranking with the stop lanyard removed,audible.
                          same tone for all.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                            all audible alarms on all yamaha's are steady tone.
                            no intermittent beeps.

how can we get an audible on a Z motor?

low oil,audible
                            water in the fuel, audible,
                            overtemp,audible,
                            low battery voltage,audible.
                            cranking with the stop lanyard removed,audible.
                            same tone for all.
                            Not so the audible alarm for the water in fuel sensor (uses a switch for sensing by the way) used in the main engine filter cup on some Yams. It is reported by Yamaha to be an intermittent tone. According to Yamaha anyway. I think I once heard this alarm; beep beep beep beep... Owner shifted into gear and the alarm went away. Silly for an alarm to go away when the problem is still there but...

Comment

Got my popcorn!

Now is that a switch or a sensor?

Sensor
                              Scott
                              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                              X