90HP Yamaha Steering Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90HP Yamaha Steering Problem

I have replace my steering on a 90 HP yamaha. It was tight getting the cable through the motor sleeve and now it seems locked up. Anyone ever seen this problem before? I am at a loss for an answer

you need to clean out the tilt tube. i would take a small rod with steel wool wrapped around it and turn it with, say a cordless drill on low speed. also be careful to not bend the cable shaft going thru your tilt tube or your sterring will always be tough.lube the cable end very well prior to installing cable.

Comment

Re: Steering is stuck after sitting all winter
      Just fixed mine......The motor is a 1988 Yamaha 90 2 stroke with a Teleflex mechanical steering cable. The problem is that when not used frequently, the grease becomes very hard (like cement) and causes the steering tube to "freeze" up.

As discussed in this thread, try to get the cable out of the motor. (Use liberal amounts of WD-40, liquid wrench, penetrating oil, etc.) You will probably need to use a wood block and mallet to tap it out.

When removed......I used liberal amounts of slovent and bought a 5/8" Masonary bit (13" long!) from Home depot. Be careful and try to turn the bit very slowly so as NOT to cause it to wobble. One the "gook" is cleaned up, use a wire brush (shotgun cleaning kit) and polish the tube.

Lubricate it thoroughly prior to reassembling. It will work better than new!

Guitar1

P.S. Don't forget to replace the O-Ring......That's probably how the water got in there and froze it up in the first place!

Comment

stiff steering

90 yamaha , 1984 , in boston whaler, can you heat to un-freeze steering cable where it meets the engine after disconnecting it from the engine?

Comment

Why don't you guys with cable steering just buy that that big steering nut with the grease fitting?? $15 or close to that??
          1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
          1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

were can I purchase nut with zerk fitting on end

Mine is not installed open, maybe because I have long shaft outboard and the angle? Do not use steel wool it will cause rusting from left over metal and serious seize it up.

Comment

Noticed one at West Marine. Jamestown has them also.
              1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
              1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

Working...
              X