tach rigging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tach rigging

I recently installed a rebuilt (new cyl. head and cyl block by dealer) 2010 Yamaha t60 in my Alii Kai 17. It came with the 703 control box ,wiring and cables. I hooked up a new 6y5-8350t-83 tach with the harnesses that came with the motor. Took her out for break in last week and the tach and hour functions work fine, but the trim display just blinks on the highest setting. I also want to make sure that the oil pressure and overheat warning lamps are working properly.The only wire from the tach to the engine via the 2 wire (green,green/orange)trim and oil harness 4 pin plug goes from tach (pink,grey,green/wht,green/red) and plugs into the motor side at a pink/black and pink/white 4 pin. The 2 fuse gauge harness is installed.I've been searching the web for some shematics for the t60, but came up empty handed.Is there any way to test the warning lamps and/or horns if so equipped?

You have a newer motor and an older gauge. Motor has but one four pin nylon connector whereas the tachometer has two four pin nylon connectors.

An adapter harness is required.

Comment

The warning horn by the way is separate from the tachometer. The horn is in the control box. Pull the kill switch and crank the motor. The horn might very well sound. Take a note of what it sounds like. If and when you hear it stop the motor immediately.

The tachometer will indicate why the horn is sounding.

Comment

By pulling the kill switch,do you mean the lanyard?

Comment

Originally posted by b.quick8 View Post
          By pulling the kill switch,do you mean the lanyard?
          Yes. Pulling the lanyard activates the kill switch.

Comment

The 4pin connector at the motor in the diagram shows 3 wires leading to it. I've only found one 4 pin and it has only 2 wires, one pink/white and one pink/black. Am I missing something?

Comment

The 2 4pin connectors on the back of my tach are the same as pictured on the engine side of the top diagram,colors and locations.The interchangeability chart says I shouldn't need the adapter...Right?
              Attached Files

Comment

The 4pin connector at the motor in the diagram shows 3 wires leading to it. I've only found one 4 pin and it has only 2 wires, one pink/white and one pink/black. Am I missing something?
                Yes. You are missing something.

What diagram are you referring to? The one in your subsequent post?

Comment

The 2 4pin connectors on the back of my tach are the same as pictured on the engine side of the top diagram,colors and locations.The interchangeability chart says I shouldn't need the adapter...Right?
                  You said that you have a 2010 motor. 2010 is after 2007. Correct?

If you have a tachometer with two four pin connectors it is pre 2006. A -83-00 version. That version has two four pin connectors.

You are looking at an illustration that is expressly designed to show the adapter harnesses. How do you come to the conclusion that the chart says that you shouldn't need an adapter? The table at the bottom clearly indicates that an adapter is needed for a newer motor used with an older gauge.

If you follow the diagram that I provided to you it will all work as it is designed to work. Make sure of course that the tachometer is set up for a four stroke engine using a two wire sender.

Comment

Here is a photo showing a Yamaha F70 trim/oil connector. Just the one four pin is used to provide information to a Yamaha tachometer. Count the number of wires. I count four.

https://www.google.com/search?q=imag...23D0v1ifS9M%3A

Comment

Working...
                    X