Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1997 40 hp 2 stroke 3 cylinder, Help with rough idle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the update and congrates!
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by bedwar44 View Post
      Found a used CDI unit that matched. Timing issue is gone.
      good to hear you got it fixed without having to pay the full cost of a new CDI

Comment

Yea I was very pleased that it worked as should. For the price I paid, I had my doubts.... But all seems well and it is going as good as it ever has (since I've owned it anyway).

I feel like I might break it down and do a seal kit, more to check out the internals. Seems that having it that off for a while might have caused some damage. Maybe not. At least I don't feel like something is about to break anymore!

Comment

I ended up replacing all of the re circulation check valves on my C40 because I found only one checking properly.
          I also replace the top and bottom crankshaft seals when I put a rebuilt crank in due to rust pits on 3 of the 4 main bearing on the crank.

I had unburnt 2 stroke oil running down the drive shaft from the power head. water pump was well lubed from all of the oil.
          not sure if the oil leak was only due to the lower seal, but I think the bad check valves did not help the situation
          Last edited by 99yam40; 05-16-2016, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Nice to get a conclusion . File that one under known issue (with that CDI anyway)

Comment

Working...
            X