Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric Start 70hp with no separate Oil Tank??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Start 70hp with no separate Oil Tank??

I apparently have a 1986 equivalent of a USA model 70ETLJ. Its an electric start but has no separate oil tank so I am assuming its a premix engine??

That would be a pretty good presumption. Oil has got to get into the motor at some point. Either premix or via an oil injection system.

Comment

the 70ETLJ had an oil tank according to the parts breakdown
      1986 70ETLJ Yamaha Outboard OIL PUMP TANK Diagram and Parts

Comment

Either the oil tank has been removed of his model was the premix version. Similar to our C70.

Guess what I am holding behind my back? That is the way some of these threads go when we have little to nothing to go on for foreign motors. Which is why Yamaha USA won't answer questions about them. Something goes wrong and they get the blame.

Hiding behind my key board, I remain...
        Last edited by boscoe99; 04-12-2016, 11:49 AM.

Comment

I guess he may not know it has the oil tank in the engine cowl, not actually "separate" but then, as mentioned, don't know for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by ausnoelm View Post
            I guess he may not know it has the oil tank in the engine cowl, not actually "separate" but then, as mentioned, don't know for sure.
            Good point.

To Mr. OP,

If there is an engine mounted oil tank then add oil to the engine mounted oil tank. Which might look like this one.

http://yamahamc.partsandwarranty.com...1515189&Page=1

If there is no engine mounted oil tank then add the oil to the gasoline tank. Either there never was an oil tank there from Yamaha or someone removed it along the way and went to premix.

Comment

Dont forget about the oil pump. hard to say if someone removed the oil system, you need to make sure they did it correctly

Comment

Ok.....firstly let me assure you that albeit I'm not an engine genius, i do know that the Oil fairies wont be adding oil in for me so its either oil injected or premix, I was under the assumption, obviously wrongly that engines that had electric starts had oil injection and were not premix.

Looking at the images of the engine with the cowl off it would seem to show a distinct lack of an oil tank. Again I am assuming that as Boscoe says its a European version and therefore was not fitted with an oil tank.

Can any of you engine buffs confirm from these pics that it has not had an oil tank removed??
                Attached Files

Comment

The cowling looks like what we had here in Aus, called a "CV" meaning it had no oil injection, it was a budget model that you add oil to the fuel at 50:1 ratio.

Comment

Cheers Ausnoelm, much appreciated mate.

50 to 1 ratio? I was told 1/2 ltr to every 12 ltrs??

A budget engine? and there was me thinking it was an ok engine

Comment

CV is Yamaha speak for Customer Value. Simply a good motor with less frills. Which many don't want. Some tank an oil injection system off. In some instances just more to go wrong. It is an OK engine. In fact, it might be a very good engine.

I agree with the Ozzie man. No port in the cowl to access an oil tank means there was no oil tank. Also, I see no provisions on the motor for a tank to be mounted.

1/2 liter to 25 liters is the mix ratio. Or one liter of oil to 50 liters of gasoline.

Comment

1/2 oil to 12 fuel would be 24 to 1.
                        have never heard of one running that.
                        stick to the 50 to 1

budget as he said is no bells and whistles.
                        probably does not have power tilt and trim.

Look at it this way less things to go bad

Comment

It does have Power Tilt and Trim on it.

Comment

The below screen dump is from the closest manual i can find for it.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X