need to know what is missing on my motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need to know what is missing on my motor

I have a 1996 85 hp, Went out fathers day and the overheat buzzer came on, Was pissing moderatly out the hole, My question is, Right above the prop is a hole that I swear used to hve a round metal plate on it, maybe with a little fin? If so what is it called?Is there supposed to be one there and is there somthing that is suppposed to go inside that space before the round cap goes on? Also when started in the water, air bubbles out of a black plastic square cap directly on the top of where the hole described above is. Any help is gratly appeciated!!!

You are missing the "trim tab" it is an anode that also helps to adjust steering torque. It has little or nothing to do the water pump and wouldn't cause it to overheat

Comment

Okay, Any suggestions on the over heating problem then??

Comment

You can get the anode trim-tab (p/n 688-45371-02-00) at your Yamaha dealer or any West Marine store for about $15. Make sure you tighten it pretty good when you put it back on because the engine's vibration has a tendency to make it come loose and fall off again. Take the rubber piece out that you see above that point and see if the trim-tab bolt is still in the hole. If it is, then the tab just vibrated loose and fell off. If the bolt is missing then someone purposely took the tab off (dumb). If you need to replace the bolt you'll have to get it at the dealer because its a unique bolt, with a unique price. You see some air bubbles coming up from that rubber piece because the trim-tab is gone and there's a big hole there for exhaust bubbles to pass through into that cavity area. Won't be a problem after you replace the trim-tab. If it's a '96 and you don't know when the last time the waterpump was changed I would recommend replacing it, since it IS the heart of the cooling system. Other than that you can check the thermostats and make sure they are clean and operating correctly (heat them up in a pan of hot water to about 150 degrees and they should open up fully...). Always use new gaskets and a quality torque wrench when re-installing the thermostats. If you don't have one already I would suggest you go to www.Yamahapubs.com and order a factory service manual for your motor. It will make future maintenance much easier. Good luck.

Mike ....... Miami, FL

Comment

Cause of over heating is no water circulating. One of 2 things. Water pump impeller is crap - replace it, or 2 your thermostat is rusted stuck in the shut (or mostly shut) position. Replace it. Don't use it until you fix it or you'll ruin the engine.

Ed

Comment

Working...
          X